Plugging in optical wire kills some core sounds?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mtfield, Jul 19, 2008.

1. mtfield macrumors 6502

Jan 9, 2008
    I have found that every time i plug in an optical wire to run my speakers it cuts out a lot of my core sounds (ichat notification, camera clicking in photo booth, mail sounds, etc.) even when i unplug it the sound is still gone from those things.. yet other things like itunes work fine the whole time. I have to turn the computer off and restart to get the sounds back... anyone have any ideas? thanks
  2. CortexRock macrumors 6502

Dec 3, 2006
    Canterbury, England
    Check your System Preferences > Sounds settings... you might need to tell OSX to send system sounds to your internal speakers rather than the Digital Out.

There's a nifty little app that'll put a control icon in your menu bar allowing quick selection of inputs and outputs - have a look for Rogue Amoeba's SoundSource.
  3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

Oct 1, 2005
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Also, if you find that sometimes your system sounds (Core Audio) just stop responding yet iTunes/Quicktime still plays then, instead of restarting, go to Activity Monitor and kill "coreaudiod." It should automatically restart with a new PID# immediately and you'll instantly have your system sounds back.