Plugging in optical wire kills some core sounds?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mtfield, Jul 19, 2008.

1. mtfield macrumors 6502

I have found that every time i plug in an optical wire to run my speakers it cuts out a lot of my core sounds (ichat notification, camera clicking in photo booth, mail sounds, etc.) even when i unplug it the sound is still gone from those things.. yet other things like itunes work fine the whole time. I have to turn the computer off and restart to get the sounds back... anyone have any ideas? thanks

2. CortexRock macrumors 6502

Check your System Preferences > Sounds settings... you might need to tell OSX to send system sounds to your internal speakers rather than the Digital Out.

There's a nifty little app that'll put a control icon in your menu bar allowing quick selection of inputs and outputs - have a look for Rogue Amoeba's SoundSource.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Also, if you find that sometimes your system sounds (Core Audio) just stop responding yet iTunes/Quicktime still plays then, instead of restarting, go to Activity Monitor and kill "coreaudiod." It should automatically restart with a new PID# immediately and you'll instantly have your system sounds back.