PLugging in USB device causes my macbook to RESET

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dizzle86, Mar 23, 2009.

1. dizzle86 macrumors newbie

For about the past month or so, I have had a huge problem with my macbook pro. Whenever I plug in a USB device such as an external hardrive, a flashdrive, a digital camera to upload photos, or even my ipod, the whole screen instantly goes dark the second the device is connected. Once the screen goes dark, a message comes up saying that I need to hit the reset button or hold down the power button for several seconds. The only 2 USB devices I can still use to my knowledge without receiving this error are my iphone and my USB mouse. My software is up to date. If I plug in my external hardrive via the firewire port, it works perfectly fine. But if i use the USB port, then BAM same thing happens every time. It used to work perfectly fine up until a month or so ago. I cannot figure out what is causing this to happen. :(

Somebody please help me and let me know if there is a way to fix this??

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What you are experiencing is called a Kernel Panic.

It is often software related, but can also be hardware related.

If you still have warranty I would advise you to go to your next Apple Store or authorized repair shop.

Depending on what kind of MacBook Pro you could try the following:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

1. Try reseting PRAM and SMC
    2. Does that happen in a new user?
    3. Depending on what happens in a new user, you will perform either an archive and install with or without preserving user settings.
    4. If 1-3 doesn't work, then it probably is hardware related.

4. dizzle86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it does happen in a new user I tried creating a new user and it still gave me the same problem :(

5. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Do you by any chance have an iPhone/Touch that you jailbroke? Cause when I did, I had to install this thing from the dev site for jailbreak to work and then uninstall it, so I'm thinking you might have the same problem as I had the same thing happen to me (dark screen with message).

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Try backing up your data and perform an erase and install. If the problem still occurs, set up a repair.