plugging iphone 4 into mac disables speaker?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by franki, Dec 28, 2010.

1. franki macrumors newbie

just got an iphone 4, when i plug it into my mac, the mac jumps to iTunes and the speaker on the iphone stops working. it stays not working while i toggle the mute switch. i tried a lot of forums, tried plugging and unplugging the headphones, that didn't help (although sound works fine through the headphones). the only cure seems to be to plug it into the mains charger when it starts working again. anyone encounter this before? the only apps i installed are hipstermatic and a star chart app. no pandora or anything like it.

this isn't an end of the world problem because i can fix it but i'd still like to know what the hell is going on. while it's silent, the volume control is on full volume. itunes on the phone doesn't make any sound, neither does the system eg changing the ringtone.

thanks for any suggestions.

2. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

I guess the next question is why would you need the iPhone speakers to work if it is connected to the mac? Wouldn't you be able to do anything you needed with the mac?

3. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

What cable and/or dock are you using? If you have a component/composite cable or an A/V dock then the audio is rerouted (potentially nowhere).

4. franki thread starter macrumors newbie

in answer to MonkeyET, the speakers don't work when I disconnect the phone again. So once it's been connected to the mac then disconnected again, it loses all audio. Connecting it to the mains charger it came with then brings the audio back.

MacToddB, i've used both the usb cable it came with to hook up to the mac and also another iPod lead... not sure which iPod it came from, is there any difference between them?

5. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

If you are using standard iPod dock connector to USB on computer, it shouldn't matter what you plug it into.