Plugging iPhone into new computer

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by RKilbane20, Dec 9, 2010.

1. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

I'm going to reformat to my macbook pro, I have all my iphoto and music backed-up which is all i care about. Whats going to happen when i plug my iphone into iTunes after the reformat? Will it delete everything everything off my iPhone and have me lose everything? Like apps, contacts, setting?

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

You should also save your backups on your MBP prior to reformatting. Once you've formatted your MBP, put all your photos/apps back on it as well as put the saved backup you have into the proper folder. If done, then you shouldn't lose anything on your phone and your phone will sync normally.

3. RKilbane20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So save my backup then put it back into place where the backup is saved after the reformat? Put all my music back on itunes before i plug my iphone in? Will my phone transfer my apps back to itunes or will they be deleted?

4. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

If you copy your backup as well as your entire iTunes folder, you should be okay since all of your apps are in there. I'm not sure if the apps themselves are saved in the backup or if its just the settings for the apps you have.

Basically, once you reformat your MBP, get it back to where it used to be by putting everything back in place like it was before, i.e. apps, music, photos, etc. If everything is in place, then you shouldn't have any issues when syncing your phone back to your reformatted MBP.

5. Raj24v macrumors member

How do you save your backup to an external hard drive for example?