Plugging Macbook into TV

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Skwink, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Skwink macrumors member

So we have an HDTV and a Macbook. Just for the heck of it, I want to try to play some games on my TV. How would I go about doing this?

2. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

which macbook? the 2010 model?

3. simsaladimbamba

4. Jeffrey G macrumors newbie

connecting macbook to tv

I'm also trying to conncect a 2-4 year old macbook to a hdtv. I have a mini dvi to hdmi adapter, and have that mac plugged into my tv using an hdmi port. for sound, i bought a red/white audio cable and plug that into my mac headphone outlet but do not have sound. could use some help on this. i also have a home theater connected to the tv as well.

Any thoughts/remedies? i'm new to the thread.

5. simsaladimbamba

A 2 to 4 year old MacBook can be a lot of MacBook models, but I assume it is the white one with Mini DVI.
    Have you taken a look at one of the links I provided (and quoted again for un-scrolliness)?

Your TV, which can be many models, maybe is not capable of having the image coming via HDM and the sound via analog inputs. Have you taken a look at the manual of your TV to verify that? Or find a solution?

Anyway, when I had a TV I always used an external Hi-Fi receiver to play the audio along the video on a TV, so maybe that "home theatre" thing can be used to play external audio while you play video on the TV?

6. Skwink thread starter macrumors member

Early 2009.