Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klashjelm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2022
Hi,

I would like to have a very simple app that keeps a timer running when I do something productive. Then, when I do something unproductive, the timer runs backwards, i.e. spending the time I collected being productive.

For example: I do two hours of bookkeeping. That means I have two hours to spend watching a movie.

Is there such a thing? Not quite sure what to search for.

Reactions: manu chao

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Hi,

I would like to have a very simple app that keeps a timer running when I do something productive. Then, when I do something unproductive, the timer runs backwards, i.e. spending the time I collected being productive.

For example: I do two hours of bookkeeping. That means I have two hours to spend watching a movie.

Is there such a thing? Not quite sure what to search for.
I've been looking for such an app the last couple of days as well. The closest thing I've found was a timer app that starts counting into negative numbers after the timer has reached its end (which is sort of a second step to your example, ie, after you have exceeded to the two hours allotted, it would start counting how much go went above your two-hour limit).

In a sense what you and I are looking for would be a large sandclock (hourglass). Start the day with all sand in the top part and flip it whenever we switch between productive and unproductive tasks. Of course, one side of the hourglass would need to be marked 'productive' and the other 'unproductive' to not loose track. Ideally one would also be able to set that the sand runs more slowly in one direction (from unproductive to productive).

Most likely it should be possible to build such a functionality with Shortcuts.

klashjelm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2022
Yes, it seems like we want something similar. I'm a designer myself and started contacting some app developers for quotes on creating an app like that out of my design, but because of lack of time and commitment, that's as far as I got in this. If I make any progress soon, I'll let you know!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.