Plus owners, how do you feel about the X's narrower screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Deeds500, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Deeds500 macrumors 6502

This more than the notch is the issue that is bothering me about the X the most. Most of us said when the iphone went to the Plus size that we would never go back to a smaller screen. Whilst the X is bigger from top left to bottom right, the actual width straight across from left to right will be smaller than the Plus, the same width as a non Plus screen. Now this won't be an issue for non Plus owners, but what about us Plus model owners? Am I the only one who is bothered by this? If we migrate videos taken from a Plus to the X we're either gonna lose part of the video when its in landscape or have to pinch to reduce it. This actually feels like we are going back to a smaller screen, notwithstanding that the X has a bigger screen overall, but Plus owners will not feel the benefit of the real estate at the top and bottom, to me it just feels like we will have to adjust to narrower albeit stretched media.

Does this bother you? How do you feel about this?

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

How can a person rightfully comment when the phone hasn't been released or available in the store to test? I am going to preorder the iPhone X. If I don't like it, I will return it and either keep my iPhone 7 plus and wait till next year, or get the iPhone 8 plus (provided I like it).

It does no good to get anxious and worried over something that (for this moment) isn't an problem. However, if you are looking for problems and excuses, you will always find them.

How about waiting until you can try the phone yourself? That is the most logical thing to do, instead of asking strangers who won't be paying your bills.

3. Deeds500 thread starter macrumors 6502

Omg, not the sort of feedback I was after. Does the smaller width bother you or not? Who is rightfully commenting? I'm asking for feedback, you goose. You don't have to be Einstein to know that bigger does not fit into smaller? And yep, let's not worry about anything now because right now it's not an issue. I'll worry about it when it is an issue. Oh I know, I won't worry about studying because my exam is 6 weeks away, I'm worry about it the night before. Thanks, you added nothing.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I can't comment on if it bothers me if I don't have the phone in person, or haven't tried it in the store.

5. Xeyad macrumors 6502

So I've had my iPhone 6 Plus for 3 years now, so I'm obviously due for an upgrade. After 3 years, I realized that I simply don't use landscape that much anymore. Social networking apps are all in portrait, 99% of the web is mobile-friendly and works great on portrait, I use Google Maps in portrait, I have rotation lock on almost all the time, and only switch it back when I want to watch a video that requires me to rotate the phone.

The few instances where I use landscape are a few games and I sometimes like to use the Mail app in landscape, but that's all. When I first got the Plus, I kept using the homescreen in landscape because it was such a new feature, but now, I can't remember when I last used it that way.

In all honesty, after using the Plus for 3 years, I love the big screen, but the iPhone X makes perfect sense. The screen is taller than the Plus, so it should feel bigger on most use cases. It might feel a bit smaller when watching video or viewing pictures in landscape, but it's not such a big deal really.

And hey, if you don't like it, rest assured there will be an iPhone X Plus next year ;)

6. blindside217 macrumors regular

I have been having the same thoughts about the screen size of the iPhone X vs the 7 Plus. I am not worried about media playback. The aspect ratio of the X is wider than 16:9 so when playing back video, the proper way to display it would be pillar boxed with black bars on both sides. It will result in an overall smaller image because the display is not as tall in landscape mode. I think I am willing to work with a slightly smaller workspace to enjoy the advantages of the new form factor and the OLED screen.

7. Buddhake macrumors regular

I am elated by the potential of a narrower yet bigger iPhone. The ability to hold in one hand and still have real estate is what I was after. I have had the 6/7+ and the 6/7 and despite wanting the larger screen and better camera of the +, I kept going back to the smaller for holdability. The X is a no-compromises option for me!

8. WilliamG macrumors G3

9. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

OP I've owned a plus size screen since the day they came out. And while the notch doesn't really bother me,going to a smaller screen just might.

I'm going to order an X and will probably love it, but there is that chance things may appear smaller. Who knows until it's in our hands.

10. Deeds500 thread starter macrumors 6502

11. Shark5150 macrumors 65816

Shark5150

That'll be a good question once we actually have the X in hand. Can only speculate now.

12. Quu macrumors 68030

Quu

Rather stick with my wider display. I'm sure an iPhone X Plus will come out eventually (Maybe next year).

13. Deeds500 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was actually comparing my 6plus to my wife's 6 last night. Thanks.

14. geemiller05 macrumors 6502

I think it's whack that the screen is narrower, but I fully understand why they did it. Doesn't bother me really. I downgraded sizes from the 7 plus to the 8. Tired of the big body. The X is almost the perfect compromise. I'm just not interested in the nipple or the price of said nipple.

15. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

The notch is a deal breaker for me

And narrow screen is another reason to get the 8+

X should be sleek and futuristic like the note 8, yet it has the bar of soap look. These clowns running the show gotta go!

16. steelo3232 macrumors regular

I want an APPLE phone that looks like the the NOTE 8 and has APPLE'S ecosystem. I'm not getting the X for three reasons
    1. That Stupid Notch
    2. A different UI on the X than the IPAD pro 2nd gen 12.9. I use both of these daily and interchange between them often. Using two sets of different gestures on two devices both just released is asinine.
    3. THe X is taller and more narrow. Reminds me of when the IPHONE 5 came out and was "bigger". No it was taller and more narrow and didn't look better than the previous iteration and the software on it was worse.

Hence, I ordered the 8 plus.