PLZ HELP - Custom icons.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Wobzy, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Wobzy, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

Wobzy macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Before we start, im not looking for someone to do my work for me.
    Just point me in the right direction.

I've only been modding my iphone for two days now.
    In an attempt to understand the way themes work, i downloaded a few and started poking around.

Scenario -
    I activated a theme using winterboard, it has no icon set.
    I have another theme with an extensive icon set.
    Using iFile i copied these folders;
    - var/stash/themes/INACTIVETHEME/Bundles
    - var/stash/themes/INACTIVETHEME/Folders
    - var/stash/themes/INACTIVETHEME/UIImages
    To;
    - var/stash/themes/ACTIVETHEME/
    And resprung.

Only the UIImages became active.

Do i need to point the theme to the icons via a html or plist?
    I've searched this site up and down for good posts/stickies on the subject, not really finding much.

Any good tutorials around?

EDIT -
    If i was to create my own set of icons, where would i find the list of icon names?
    And would i then just drop them in var/stash/themes/ACTIVETHEME/icons?

Thx heaps.

2. Wobzy thread starter macrumors newbie

3. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Assuming that a.) you've downloaded the correct sized theme for your device (HD for retina screens, SD for earlier phones) and that the theme full of icons doesn't have a folder called Icons (in which case, turn on Summerboard in Winterboard and at least some of the icons should change):

In most current WB themes, the icons are in the individual folders within the Bundles folder. So if you copied a Bundles folder with no icons into a theme with icons, you most likely overwrote the icon files. Hence, no icons. Some icons that won't theme any other way can be found in the Folders file, so again, you probably wiped out what you were looking for.

Your easiest option, after you redownload the theme with the icons, is to just check them both in WB. Put the UI theme above the icon theme, so it overrides any elements that are present in both. A lot of us prefer one UI, but are constantly changing icon sets, and this is the easiest way to do that.

However, if the goal is to learn: Best way to learn what's what in those files is to open each of them in iFile and look at the contents. In Bundles, a lot of what you'll see are more folders that are typically labeled some variant of com.developername.appname--but not always. Open those and you'll see your icon for that app as a .png image. But you may see other things in there too for theming the contents of that app, and com.apple.springboard in particular typically has at least a few elements in it. So to mix your two themes into one, you'll want to compare the two themes to each other, and only move over the individual folders you need from the inactive set to the active set, not "all" the Bundles for example.

How to name icons and bundles: it varies with each app. Download AppInfo from Cydia; it'll save you a lot of time and frustration by providing you with this info most of the time. And if you Google "CFBundleIdentifier", you should be able to find a database where people try to stay on top of these, as well as instructions on how to manually find that info within the app files. But AppInfo is way faster. Note that app devs will sometimes change icon names when the app updates, so it's good to know where to find the info to rename it within your theme.

And digging around in the MacThemes site forums will also yield a lot of info on theming (as well as a lot of theme choices).

Hopefully that's enough to give you a start. There aren't any outstanding tutorials I'm aware of, but I've been away from the theming scene for a few months working on real life stuff, so I'm sure someone will chime in if something new has cropped up.

Good luck!

4. Wobzy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx, i asked on a few forums. U have been the best help so far.

If i can take u away from ur real world stuff for another 5 min;

- the themes are HD my screen is retina.
    - the 'theme with icons' doesnt have an icon folder.
    - the theme without icons has neither icon folder or bundle folder.
    - im only running one of the two, not both, so one is not overwriting the other.

Coz i was in iFile and cbf going through every folder, i did make the mistake of copying the folders from the root without realizing exactly what u pointed out in the springboard example. So stuff like strings got copied accross too.

So i have removed the foreign folders from the theme im running.

It now has no bundles folder (and no icon folder it is HD)
    It is purely a clock/weather widget at this point. It looks like this;
    theme/private/ <--- gfx folder
    theme/*.psd <--- widget
    theme/*.html <--- widget

Im definately going to have a look at what u directed me to later in the day - im pretty big on my real world stuff too :cool: - but just quickly, on the point of icon names/location;

Using another iconed (UInique) theme as an example, relative only to icons and not internal application gfx, i see the following...

- theme/bundles/com.apple.app/icon@2x.png <--- iphone app icons.
    - theme/bundles/com.apple.app.settings/icon@2x.png <--- ^ as in settings.
    - theme/folders/app.app/icon@2x.png <--- third party app icons.

Is that right? And how does the theme know to look there for the icons?
    Because theres nothing in the theme root or .plist to indicate this is the icon location.

Anyway thx for ur help so far, i'll be back later.

5. Wobzy thread starter macrumors newbie

Right i got my icons sorted, but the default icons for;
    -activator
    -respring
    -appinfo
    -reminders

Will not conform to the overlay (com.apple.mobileicons.framework) as the rest of the un-custom icons have

A minor concern at the moment. Seems to be a commonly asked question.
    Bound to find an answer sooner or later.

Do u know where the files controlling lock screen behaviour for music player are located?

I use a separate theme for lockscreen and springboard.
    I want to apply the clock/weather widget to the lock screen when music player is active.
    As u can see below, its a bit boring, esp when theres little or no cover art for the playing track.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]