PM G4 doesn't provide power to new 15" Studio Display

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iHackintosh, Feb 29, 2012.

1. iHackintosh macrumors newbie

I have a Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics) and recently got a working 15" Studio Display with an ADC connector. I had to install an ADC video card for the Mac as well. The Mac turns on fine, but it doesn't give power to the display. Also when I plug in a VGA monitor into the same video card it doesn't detect it either, which makes me think I need a driver for it, but doesn't OS X install drivers automatically? Am I doing something wrong? Does the AGP Graphics Power Mac even support ADC video cards, or do I need a DVI > ADC converter?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Sawtooth/APG Graphics/PowerMac3,1 cannot use ADC Studio displays. You need a ~$85-100 adapter that is no longer made. How did you even fit an ADC video card into a Sawtooth? The extra pins wouldn't allow it to fit properly.

3. iHackintosh thread starter macrumors newbie

It fits in perfectly... I just took out the VGA/DVI card and put the ADC one in tis place. Slots in the card line up with the connector fine.

4. Intell, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012

Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It shouldn't fit correctly. PowerMac G4 ADC cards have an extra leg on them about 1/4" wide on the faceplate side of the card that plugs into the board. You Sawtooth is missing the slot for this extra leg on the board. I don't think G5 ADC cards have this extra leg, but I could be wrong. Which card exactly to you have?

In the picture below I highlighted the extra leg in red on an PowerMac G4 ADC card:
    ADC.JPG

In the picture below is a Sawtooth logicboard and it is missing this extra slot:
    board.JPG

5. iHackintosh thread starter macrumors newbie

Aah, I didn't notice that extra leg there. I have the ATI Rage 128. But since I now need an adapter instead, would you like to purchase/trade for an ATI Rage 128 card? Mint condition! Hardly used!

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell