PM G5 for new iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SaleenS351, Aug 8, 2007.

1. SaleenS351 macrumors 6502

Not sure if I should sell my powermac in my sig. For the new iMac. I have a 2.16ghz MBP c2d w/ a gig and it seems a bit faster thsn my PM. So my question is, should i sell the PM tower and get the new iMac? I have a second internal HD that i'm assuming wont be compatable with the iMac. I need some opinions please.

2. irontony macrumors member

Im in the same situation, but I have a Rev A Dual 1.8 G5
    Concerning iLife's spec's for iMovie I may have to be forced to upgrade anyhow.

3. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Well you have a Dual 1.8, A Dual 1.8 is faster than a single 1.9.

You will run iLife Just Fine.

4. irontony macrumors member

Thanks for the encouragement. Looks like i'm gonna be using iMovie HD still as iMovie '08 appears to of lost a large amount of features.

As far as the original posters question goes. Any of the new Intels will beat our lowly G5's in any CPU task. Heck, I tested a Gen 1 MacBook Core Duo (32bit) against mine running photoshop CS 2 and Handbrake and the MacBook bet mine in both tests! A Mobile 32bit CPU bet my Pro 64bit G5! And it had a slower Hard drive. Truely amazing. Now your 2nd internal hard drive will work with the new iMac as an external drive but you wouldn't be able to boot from it. Good Luck

5. SaleenS351 thread starter macrumors 6502

What are the advantages to the powermac G5? I dont know what i'd do with my display.

6. irontony macrumors member

PowerMac obviously you can have multiple internal hard drives as opposed to fussing around with externals with the iMac.

The last Gen iMac's had whisper quite and faster hard drives (my PM uses SATA I as opposed to SATA II in the iMac's)

Of course the iMac itself is virtually quite compared to our wind tunnels.

The PowerMac's can upgrade their graphics cards.

Your spare Cinema Display if it's a DVI one can be used as a 2nd display and would be very useful with the iMac.

7. SaleenS351 thread starter macrumors 6502

tough decision. I might wait till October to get leopard bundled with it. Are you making the change?

8. irontony macrumors member

Absolutely

Waiting for Leopard also and hoping for new iMac revision too (CTO better graphics or Matte Display options)

My PM is too noisy, the USB ports are flaky and slow compared to new Mac's (they are USB 2) and I have the dreaded Audio click/chirp issue that plagued early PM G5's

So yes either 20" iMac. I'll use FW800 external HDD for media etc

Cheers

9. wiseguy27 macrumors 6502

wiseguy27

All PM G5s have USB 2 - are you referring to the USB 1.1 ports on the keyboard or display??? Or did your PM come with USB 1.1 ports (unlikely)?

For your click/chirp issue, have you tried disabling "Processor Nap" in the Processor section in System Preferences? That works for me (I have a PM G5 2.3 dual).

10. irontony macrumors member

No not the K/B USB but the actual rear and front USB ports of the PM. They're definitely rated USB 2 but transfer info slower than our other newer Mac's.

Every time I start my PM G5 I have to disable nap and it's a pain, does work however. Does anyone have a script that will do it automatically? I did have the Power Supply swapped out but still no joy.

11. SaleenS351 thread starter macrumors 6502

How would I connect the internal drive to the new iMac?

12. irontony macrumors member

You will need to purchase a external hard drive case. It will need to be SATA compatible for your old PM G5 hard drive and I recommend firewire 800 connectivity/interface (all new iMacs have fw800 now, faster than fw400 and will free up for fw400 to use video cameras etc - yay)

13. irontony macrumors member

Brought an iMac 24"

Wow what a machine... My Photoshop test runs on Intel 25sec < G5 55sec
    Handbrake test Intel 15mins < G5 30mins

Hands down beats my Dual G5

Too bad I got a dodgy screen though. Bright white on the left, dim darker yellow to the right. Swapped out once already and the second is the same.

These iMac's are quiet as. My external firewire 800 is louder than the iMac.
    Leopards cool. wasn't totally thrilled by it, but it's the future for Mac's now.

Cheers