PM G5 Help... overheating??

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by davidg4781, Feb 26, 2016.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I purchased a PM G5, the one in my signature, a while back. I really didn't have big plans for it nor did I have a place for it, but the price was too good to let it go.

I installed Leopard, played around with it for a few hours, then left it in my 2nd bedroom. When I was moving, that was one of the later things I packed up, so my last few days before moving I tried using it to do some stuff online and listen to music. About 15 minutes after turning it on, I came back in to find the fans running at full throttle and the G5 unresponsive. Restarted and the same thing.

Does anyone have some ideas on what to check? I have an extra PRAM battery so I may try that. It looks clean inside but I ultimately want to clean it out.

Right now, it's all still packed away an I don't have any pressing need for it, but I do want to use it to encode some VHS tapes. I had read somewhere that's the best way using an older version of iMovie.

2. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Mine did the same thing, it happens periodically

3. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Should I reinstall Leopard or do anything or just let it be? Could it maybe have been doing some indexing or updating?

4. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Let it be, if it happens again force power down