Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Hope to find some answers here. Just recently I have checked the temperatures due to some fun noise and I happen to see backside fan rpm stucked at 3000 rpm. I haven't seen any abnormal temperatures though on all my sensor readings. What could be the culprit? Can it be fixed thru a simple SMU reset?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Hope to find some answers here. Just recently I have checked the temperatures due to some fun noise and I happen to see backside fan rpm stucked at 3000 rpm. I haven't seen any abnormal temperatures though on all my sensor readings. What could be the culprit? Can it be fixed thru a simple SMU reset?

SMU would be the first thing to try. Instructions courtesy of iFixit:

1. Turn off the computer by selecting Shut Down from the Apple menu or by holding the power button until the computer turns off.

2. Open and remove both the metallic outer door and the inner plastic air deflector.

3. Remove the fan assembly immediately to the left of the processor module.

4. Press the SMU reset button on the logic board.

5. Replace the fan assembly, air deflector, and outer door.

6. Turn on the computer.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
SMU would be the first thing to try. Instructions courtesy of iFixit:

1. Turn off the computer by selecting Shut Down from the Apple menu or by holding the power button until the computer turns off.

2. Open and remove both the metallic outer door and the inner plastic air deflector.

3. Remove the fan assembly immediately to the left of the processor module.

4. Press the SMU reset button on the logic board.

5. Replace the fan assembly, air deflector, and outer door.

6. Turn on the computer.

I did the SMU reset. The thing is that it is not raising the backside fan speed right away, it will slowly increase until it reaches max speed. I suspect my quad needs some serious blow job. lol. I have taken a look at the rad and there is so much accumulation of dust and gunks in between the rad fins, and brushing will not clean it up. I will clean first then let see if it cures the back side rpm maxing out.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I did the SMU reset. The thing is that it is not raising the backside fan speed right away, it will slowly increase until it reaches max speed. I suspect my quad needs some serious blow job. lol. I have taken a look at the rad and there is so much accumulation of dust and gunks in between the rad fins, and brushing will not clean it up. I will clean first then let see if it cures the back side rpm maxing out.

Oh right, well if it's visibly full of gunk and dust, that's more likely to cause the issues :D

Yeah, give her a nice clean; arm yourself to the teeth like Rambo with a big ol' can of compressed air and a hefty paintbrush! Make sure you do it outside as you don't want to be huffing up any of that dust. Watch out for static so keep tapping a metal surface frequently to discharge any build up (the case itself should be fine), and take out each component to do a nice job. If you're dusting out the board, ensure you do that with compressed air rather than the paintbrush, to again avoid static damage.

You'll feel much better once it's done! It's oddly satisfying work.

spf2

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2015
7exas
Or you could just use a leaf blower. Makes short work of it.. I am just kidding though. Good luck with it. I need to do that to my G5s as well. I bet there are a gazillion dust bunnies in my G5 and they are multiplying everyday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.