PM HD Dead? Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by c23roo, May 24, 2007.

  1. c23roo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 29, 2004
    #1
    After downloading the security update today, my PM G5 Quad refuses to restart. Freezes on the white screen with Apple logo, swirly thing beneath has stopped, um, swirling...

    I do have an external HD which has all my files backed up - how can I boot from this HD to check out what's up?

    Of note, I recently did manage to repair the original HD with disk utility, and just prior to downloading the update and backing up, I checked the original HD again and when I clicked 'verify disc' it said everything was ok.

    Now, everything not so much ok.

    Help!

    - c
     
  2. psychofreak Retired

    psychofreak

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #2
    Have you waited AGES? Often it does take a long while...

    If it doesn't work, you could try holding the power button to turn the thing off, then turning it on again, and waiting A LONG TIME.

    Hold the option key (sometimes Alt) with your External HD plugged in to boot off it (if it is bootable), or hold C during startup with the Mac OSX install Disk 1 in the drive to see if you can Archife&Install
     
  3. c23roo thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 29, 2004
    #3
    Waiting...

    I'm going to bed - so if by morning (Philly time) it's not up, I'll try to startup off my other HD.

    Wish it luck...

    Thanks,
    - c
     
  4. c23roo thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 29, 2004
    #4
    Waited overnight, still not started up. So I booted from the external HD, which worked just fine. I went to disc utility to check out my original HD - it says it's ok. So I tried to startup again from original HD. Same result: white screen, freezes up & fans rev really high... So what is the problem? Any suggestions?

    Other issue: When I did get booted up off the external (which I had just backed up in the last day or two) I am missing a bunch of photos in iPhoto. It's like the computer's behaving like the last several days didn't happen...

    Help!

    -c
     
  5. c23roo thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 29, 2004
    #5
    Drama continues.. PM G5 unwell...

    So I took my PM G5 quad to the local shop so they could have a look-see.

    Just to recap, I was getting stuck on the white screen with apple logo when booting from original HD. When booting from external HD, all was fine. Even checked the original HD with disk utility: gave green light suggesting all was well (all was not well). Still couldn't find pictures downloaded during the previous few days. [ also, incidentally, I had been putting up with fan noise issues, an inability to sleep automatically (able to sleep when manually put to sleep though), and an inability to burn DVD's (but able to burn CDs just fine) ]

    Still, not as bad as the PC desktop I used to have!

    So it's at the shop for a week, and they can't replicate the problem, and then yesterday they say they have found the issue (they say likely software rather than hardware) and all they need to do is an archive/install (whatever that is).

    Well, I got called back today to find that it crashed twice while trying that procedure, and so 'it's more complicated' and they will call me back when they have more information.

    Sounds to me like it's probably the HD, am I right? Any ideas, smart people?

    - c
     
  6. c23roo thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 29, 2004
    #6
    motherboard problem?

    A friend suggested this might be a problem with the motherboard - if this is the case, what does that mean for me in terms of repair do you think? I would imagine it's far cheaper and easier to just have to swap out a hard drive... What does this mean for the long term prospects of this machine?

    ~c
     
  7. c23roo thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 29, 2004
    #7
    Ugh lovely...

    So here's the verdict:

    The problem is with the logic board; which apparently would run me nearly US$800... Which I would go ahead and do - but they said it would likely need a new processor as well. Which is also pricey. Their advice would be not to proceed at this point. Any thoughts from the group? Lovely news today.

    C
     

Share This Page