PM special deal, go for it or wait for MWSF?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by vtprinz, Dec 3, 2004.

  1. vtprinz macrumors 6502

    Nov 30, 2004
    Apple has a refurbished dual 1.8 G5 PM (stock) for $1699. The only thing I'd need to change to it is more RAM, which can obviously be added at any point.

    So, two questions really, how long do these deals last, and should I jump on it or wait until the probably upgrades in January?
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus


    Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I don't think there will be substantial low-end upgrades in January - maybe a bump to 2.0GHz, but nothing huge. Just my opinion.

    If the machine does what you need it to do, it's better buying it now - the deal lasts until someone buys the last one (and, often, there's only one or a few) - than waiting for the (possible) January announcement, the delay in initial shipping, the delay getting yours because you weren't first in line, etc.
  3. vtprinz thread starter macrumors 6502

    Nov 30, 2004
    side-note: I'm a college student so I can get the educational discount bringing the normal price for said computer down to $1799.

    So I'd only save $100. Is that worth ignoring the coming upgrades?
  4. cmvsm macrumors 6502a


    Nov 12, 2004
    Just Buy It

    If you need it...just get it. Otherwise you'll be waiting for January now...then you'll wait for June...then wait for January again....then June. Before you know it, you'll never buy one. You have to take the plunge sometime and the G5's have so much power to date, they will last quite a while no matter what you get.

    Buy the dual 1.8 and enjoy it!! They are awesome machines!... :D
  5. maya macrumors 68040


    Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    Whaaaaa if they have a dual core dual chip PMG5 in 2005 then he would get 4x the chip power. ;) :D

    Something always better around the corner. ;)

    Actually joking aside it does sound like a good deal, now can you post the link so I can order one. :D
  6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    May 19, 2002
    According to the rumors, a 20% faster clock and saving you 50% on power and heat per core over the current FX.

    What more can you ask for.

    Especially since IBMs been having trouble scaling and producing the current 970FX.

    We expect more from IBM's G5s than the Kantscale's G4s don't we? :eek:
  7. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

    2A Batterie

    Jun 9, 2004
    Out of a Suitcase, USA
    The refurb deals come around frequently so don't fret about buying now if it is just for that reason. I say if you don't need the Computer now, you should wait. Although I would say that the PM won't get updated at MWSF, as the expo is mainly for "consumer" products", there may be a speed bump in February
  8. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    I would suggest waiting until MWSF, unless you are in desperate need of a Mac now. The new features should be well worth the wait. The price will still be about the same, just with increased features.

Share This Page