PM8500/Studio Display (15" Flat Panel)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by viggen61, Feb 19, 2011.

1. viggen61 macrumors 6502

Dug out my old PM8500 to see if there's anything I want to get off of it, but I'm having trouble getting it to sync up with my Apple Studio Display (15" Flat Panel). I'll call it "ASD15" from now on. This is the second iteration, with the B/W G3 colors, and the VGA connector.

The 8500, of course, has the standard Mac DB-15 connector, so it needs to be adapted to the VGA connection on the ASD15. I have a couple adapters, but I'm having troubles with both.

I've an NEC MultiSync (TM) adapter with no settings, but it says on it "640x480/832x624" and "1024x768/1280x1024". This doesn't seem to do anything at all. The ASD15 reports "No Computer Detected".

I also have an Enhanced Liberty adapter, the one with the knob and 9 DIP switches. I've tried several positions on the knob, but nothing is working. I think I need the setting instructions for it to set the "extended codes". Of course, I can't locate the instructions!

So, I was wondering if anyone might be able to post the DIP switch settings for the extended codes, if they have them. All the label has on it is the positions of the knob, and the resolutions, and the last 3 DIP switches, which are for sync. But something is getting lost in the translation.

Thanks in advance!

:apple::apple:

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I am using that same monitor on my Powermac 8600 right now. I'll see if I can find one of those adapters in my box-o-icrap and see if it works for me using the DB-15 to VGA adapter. Right now I'm connecting it through VGA to an iX Twin Turbo 128 PCI video card. Here's one on eBay if you're interested.

3. viggen61 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've already seen that. If worse comes to worse, it'll be helpful, but it's a lot more work than I was hoping to need to do. I've already got adapters, just need the right instructions...

I can't see why it shouldn't work, but I just need to arrange the settings properly. Not really interested in buying another card, just to get this machine up.

Thanks,

4. viggen61 thread starter macrumors 6502

Problem solved!

Well, bought some new PRAM batteries from OWC. Installed one on the 8500/150 (also bought spares for my G4 & SE/30), zapped the PRAM several times, and still nothing. Then dug out my DVI-VGA adapter for my MBP, just to verify that nothing had gone sour with the display since I last put it in the box. All good there.

But, it turns out that I had a solution all along in the "Accessories Kit" in the box the Studio Display came with. There was, still sealed in 16-year-old plastic, an adapter that came bundled with the display! Cut open the plastic, installed it, hooked on the display, and presto-chango, I'm watching Jaguar boot up!

Though, Jaguar isn't so swift on this machine, even with a 250Mhz G3 processor... Might have to do with only 240MB of RAM... Once I got it back running Mac OS 9.1, though, it's a pretty snappy machine. It even reports a processor speed of 279Mhz!

Now I can get what I need from the machine, and move it on to a new home. Also check out all the rest of my SCSI devices for data I think I need, as this is my last SCSI machine that'll take more than one internal device!

And I may even see if I can make the Liberty adapter work like the Apple-supplied one.

5. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Keep in mind that the 8600/9600 systems just don't have the I/O speed for OS X. The memory only moves data at around 80-90MB/sec. An original PowerMac G3 or a B&W is the lowest system I would run X on tower-wise and they move the memory at around 250-350MB/sec. I would stick to OS 8 or 9 on the 8600 if I were you unless you don't mind the performance on X.

The G4 towers (other than the Yikes) all get 600MB - 1.1GB/sec depending on bus speed.