PMG4 as FTP server?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Volkstaia, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Volkstaia macrumors regular

Volkstaia

I'm on a forum where people host files and our current FTP server only has 82 gb left, so we need another. How well does a PMG4 work as one? I could get an older, cheap one, and throw a couple high capacity HDDs in there and all would be well.

2. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

It would work well enough; OS X can be set up a great little FTP server. However, a Power Mac G4 uses older, lower capacity, harder to find these days PATA hard disks unless you install a PCI SATA card in it. That would probably be its biggest limitation these days. The other thing to consider is power consumption; a G4 tower that is left on 24/7 as a server sucks down a fair amount of wattage. You may be better served by using a smaller, more efficient machine for a simple FTP server.

Of course, if you really want to use the Power Mac, it'll work just fine. Just be prepared for the power bill, a bit of extra heat, and some noise.

3. Volkstaia thread starter macrumors regular

Volkstaia

What cheap macs consume less power? Should I consider just getting an iBook or something?

4. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I'd go for a mini. G4 minis are incredibly cheap these days, often selling for $100 or less, and they consume a fraction of the power of a G4 tower. A newer intel-based mini would consume even less power, as well as offering more up-to-date software for a public server.