PMG5 2.3DP PCIe card with built in SSD

IffySituation

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Minnesota
Hi, I'm new to the MacRumors forums. Great info being shared here thx. My question is concerns purchasing a PCIe card with a built in SSD and if that would be faster (speed-wise) than adding an SSD in the drive bay which would be limited to the slower 1.5Gb/sec limitation on PPC Macs. Thx

repentix

macrumors regular
May 26, 2013
of course a pcie ssd is faster than a sata connection , but i was wondering if there was an alternative to a pcie ssd since the pcie ssd suggested in this post is not bootable. I was wanting to find out if there is an alternative for the faster connection of a bootdrive in a powermac.

IffySituation

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Minnesota
of course a pcie ssd is faster than a sata connection , but i was wondering if there was an alternative to a pcie ssd since the pcie ssd suggested in this post is not bootable. I was wanting to find out if there is an alternative for the faster connection of a bootdrive in a powermac.
Yep that what I would like to do as well.

CptSky

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2013
Some PCIe SATA cards are bootable, but the only driver available on the PM G5 is 1.5 GB/s, so a SATA II/III card will not be faster. (From what I remember being told)

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
But you can boot from SSD connected to PCIe SATA III card on ASM1061 chipset. It would max about 250MB/s, because it's PCIe x1 and G5 has PCIe Rev 1.0 slots. It's always 100MB/s more than internal SATA.