PMG5 fans come on full blast sitting at Open Firmware.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 128keaton, Feb 24, 2015.

1. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Hey guys, my DP 2GHz Early 2005 PowerMac G5's fans come on full tilt after sitting in OF for a few minutes. No red LED on main board, CPUs have never been removed, and a few months ago it would boot fine. I've reset the CUDA and done reset-all in OF. Help?

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

As far as I know, this is normal provided that they work correctly under OS X. It also noticed it happening in single user mode.

3. 128keaton, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015

128keaton thread starter macrumors 68020

128keaton

Ok, odd. I'll try installing ubuntu now. After a while, it just shutdown.

----------

Ok, so I boot into the ubuntu CD, begin installing then the fans go full tilt. I'm setting the new username/password and the thing just shuts off. Is there some sensor thats dirty or possibly unplugged?

EDIT: Boots into OS X fine, fans go up and down as I am running safari. Maybe my CD is to blame...

4. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

On an Intel Mac at least with SMC, you can change the fan speed in Ubuntu. There are some files somewhere that you modify to change the fans. I don't know if this would work for a G5 though but you can try.

Ugh i cant find that article

5. Surrat macrumors 6502

Surrat

If you manually stay in OF for too long, the fans will go to 100%, its like when you start the apple diagnostic cd's, the fans run full tilt. My guess is if there is no heat management via software, the fans just go to high to keep the cpu's safe.

Now, if it does that in OSX, then something is wrong. Also you said it just turns off, I'm not liking that either, I hope the system is ok.

6. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

I installed Debian on my G5 with no issues. Fan speeds adjust automatically to control temps just as in OS X. Maybe something got corrupted in the download or image burn? I would imagine Ubuntu would provide for similar fan control since it is based on Debian.

7. 128keaton thread starter macrumors 68020

128keaton

Hmm, well, I tried ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04, both would take off like a jet.