pmset: gpuswitch 2? What in the...?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by J the Ninja, Dec 30, 2008.

1. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

I've been studying up a little on the pmset command today, after being frustrated by the limits of the Energy Saver prefpane, and on looking at it's setting, I noticed it had an option called "gpuswitch". Seems like it should just be the switch between graphics cards......except it's value is "2". Every other parameter I can find for pmset that allows values other than 1 or 0 is something that is looking for a number of minutes, rather than a two-way switch. This obviously isn't a timer, so.....is it some sort of 3-way switch? Anybody know what this one does? The man page is no help, it apparently hasn't been updated for this, and my Google-fu got me nowhere.

I guess I could just run "sudo pmset -a gpuswitch 1" and see what happens, but I'm a little loathe to sudo something if I'm not sure what will happen.

2. Mercellus macrumors regular

I've been wondering what settings the gpuswitch setting will take as well, although I'm a bit scared to play around with it.

3. dual64bit macrumors 6502

I've tried 0, 1, and of course 2 none seem to give any affect. Perhaps a logout or restarted after adjusting might do something, but haven't gone that far yet.

We need an easy switch for switching graphics cards in the MBP.

4. chabig macrumors 68040

5. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

What this MAY do (and nice find, by the way) is it paves the way for a developer (calling all coders) to write a little menu bar utility that enables switching from the menu bar. I have the "require password" for preferences business set, and it's annoying to open System Prefs each time to do this.