PMU Reset

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by sree04silverdr, Aug 7, 2013.

1. sree04silverdr macrumors newbie

so last night I opened up my mac and reset the PMU, I held the button and released it right away (am I supposed to hold it down longer?) Anyway, I plugged everything back in and it still wouldn't turn on. Quick question, by replacing the battery will it necessarily get the computer to turn on or am I looking at a failed PSU?

p.s. i originally posted this on my older thread, i figure i should start a new one with this, thanks!

2. Swampus macrumors 6502

Swampus

Do you have a multi-meter to test your PSU?

Pinout:

[​IMG]

3. cocacolakid, Aug 7, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013

cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Didn't you also say it wasn't keeping time/date? That means the battery is dead. So if we know the battery is dead because it won't keep time/date while off, and it started acting erratically just before it stopped booting, those are symptoms of a dead PRAM battery (and some symptoms of a dead PSU but even if you replace the PSU you still need to replace the PRAM battery).

An old CoM guide on troubleshooting Macs mentions dead PRAM batteries...

http://www.cultofmac.com/50685/how-to-fix-common-mac-startup-problems-macrx/

As others said in the other thread, a dead or dying/low voltage battery will wreck havoc with a Mac.

Are you in the U.S.?

Here's one for under $5 shipped at Amazon, eBay prices are about the same, cheaper than the last time i had to replace on a few years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Saft-LS-14250-Lithium-computers-Rechargeable/dp/B002GJSQPO

4. sree04silverdr thread starter macrumors newbie

PMU Reset

Thanks for the link cocacolakid, I will order it today and write back once I receive it and install it. Hopefully that will do the trick!

5. sree04silverdr thread starter macrumors newbie

PMU Reset

I just got the battery in last night and was able to replace it. I reset my PMU and started up the computer without any problems! Thanks to everyone who contributed to the solution!!!!!!:cool:

6. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

That's great! Good news!