PNG versus PNG?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chameleon, Nov 9, 2007.

1. chameleon macrumors regular

chameleon

Here's an odd one -- at least to me. Granted, I'm a Mac newbie, but...

Check this out:

[​IMG]

Both files are PNG files, but when you double click them, one opens up with Preview, the other opens in Photoshop.

Why?

2. l33r0y macrumors 6502

File associations are handled differently in Mac OS

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

The second one would have been last edited in Photoshop. If you download the big pics from apple.com/pr/products, they open in photoshop.

4. chameleon thread starter macrumors regular

chameleon

Wait, so you're saying that file associations are on a file by file basis? Really?

Is that info stored in the file itself, or is there some giant table stored somewhere in the OS?

5. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

You can drag and drop into preview and it will open it.

Most of the time, if something is saved in an adobe app, it will re-open in that app (or acrobat, if saved as a pdf). Especially if it is set to not include the preview image (different from the app Preview), which removes all the information you would see, for example, when in the multi-tiered finder mode, where the far right will show you what the image looks like (it won't if there is no preview saved).

Drag and drop or control+click and choose the app to open it with.

6. g-ram macrumors newbie

I have had to deal with this not too long ago, as I started this past semester in graphic design courses on Mac Pros at school.

If you right click a file (or control click it) and view options, you can choose which program to open a file with. I did that because for some reason, all the computers in class open .PSD files in Preivew... YUCK!

So I changed my current project file I was working on, and then a while later I went to open a different .PSD file I had for another project. It opened in Preview... wtf? I was irritated because I'd already told the computer to make .PSD files associated with Photoshop instead of preview.

As it turns out, OS X does not handle file associations like Windows does (go figure :p).

Where in Windows, you set a particular file extention to associate and open with a given program... in OS X you are only setting that file to open with the given program. You need to make sure that when you are changing this option, wait for it to apply, and then a button just below it should become active. Upon pressing this button, you are telling OS X to associate ALL files of this type with the given program, and not just the one you are currently opening.

Simple? Yes, when you think about it. Confusing and different? Yes, to a Windows user for the first time or two.

Hope I helped. As irritated as it made me, it only extends my excitement to get my MBP this Christmas. Knowing that I won't even have to deal with Preview at all since I'll have Leopard and Quick Look. :D

Does Leopard even have Preview anymore? If so, what is the point? :confused:

7. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Since no one has really mentioned how to change associations (one by one, or default for all files of that type, a'la Windows) I'll chime in too.

You can select a file and choose File > Get Info (or Cmd-I). In the resulting pane, you can choose an alternative application under the "Open with" heading. If you want to change all files of that type (i.e., all existing PNG files on your computer) click the "Change All..." button.

Having a per-file association granularity is really nice and useful, but can be confusing at first.

8. g-ram macrumors newbie

9. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

I'm guessing it has been removed because you said something naughty. Have a read through this

Back on subject, Macintosh files are actually made up of two components, data forks and resource forks. The resource fork contains the file association stuff, which is why Mail asks you if you want to send Windows friendly attachments, because the Windows machine was otherwise see two files being sent to it, and it won't make sense of one of them.

Graphic Converter can also save files 'web friendly' as it calls it.

10. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Is that still the case? I knew it was in OS 9 and previous versions, but I thought the move to OS X stopped that nonsense and put the "resource" fork in hidden files (aka dot-files, hidden in UNIX systems).

I transfer files back and forth between OS X, Windows and Linux all the time and don't need to do any sort of conversion, short of occasionally deleting a bunch of dot-files that came along for the ride.

P.S., g-ram, it must have been removed; Your post had 99% of the information but by the time I saw it there was no mention how to change associations.

11. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

I think we're both right, the resource and data forks are still there but according to this, MacOS X handles them as a bundle so it's a lot more user friendly (you can still access the resource fork using the terminal.)

That explains why my dad has stopped complaining about the files I send him! Funny how graphic converter still has the option to make Windows (or internet) friendly files.

12. g-ram macrumors newbie

13. MalcolmJID macrumors 6502a

I saw your post, and it's there. I'm not sure what the other user was talking about saying your post was maybe deleted? wtf?

I also had a similar problem when .png or .gif files I'd been editing in Photoshop opened in Photoshop again instead of just Preview. That's really annoying.

14. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

The mods here will edit posts if you say something offensive, insulting or occasionally to merge two posts. I only assumed since I saw no real explanation how to change associations it was removed by a mod (for reasons unknown).

Only if you didn't want it opened in PhotoShop! ;) I agree however; I've opened files and had a "WTF!?" moment -- but I think since I've grown accustomed to it and now appreciate the added functionality.

I should have given more credit, but if you re-read your post, you don't mention where you can change associations ("Cmd-I or Get Info"). I was only trying to make it clear(er) for the folks looking for help on the subject.

15. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

I missed the user's sacasm and was trying to help somebody new to the site, it looked like the user thought a post had gone missing and was wondering where it went (I saw post #6 but wasn't sure if that was the post he was refering to.)

Please don't 'wtf' me when I was trying to help.