PNY Memory in my Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cattywampus_, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Cattywampus_ macrumors 6502

I just ordered some memory for my Macbook Pro. 2 x 2GB PNY.

I tried putting them both in - and when I power it up, nothing happens. No chimes no nothing - nothing comes on the screen. It does power up - but just litterally does nothing.

I tried it with just one of the sticks in, same thing. Tried just the other stick, again - nothing.

I have just, or so I thought put the original 2 x 1GB sticks back in and booted up. I actually put one of the original 1GB sticks and one of the new PNY 2GB sticks in. It has booted up ok and I have launched a load of apps to fill the memory up. Below are some screenshots. Can someone confirm that all 3GB of the memory currently in the MBP is working?

And - can anyone help me get it working with both sticks of the PNY? I dunno where I am going wrong. I tried a CMD+OPT+P+R at start up to clear the PRAM but nothing.

The memory I am using was supposed to be :
    PNY PC5300 / 2GB / 667MHz / DDR2 / 200pin SoDIMM Laptop Memory

on the sticks themselves the stickers say :

2GB DDR2 800Mhz SODIMM CL5

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. Cattywampus_ thread starter macrumors 6502

Early 2008. Just tried it in my White Macbook bought around the same time. Does the same thing on that. Looks like the memory is incompatible. Which sucks.

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

If you want to know the exact memory you need for your computer go here

http://www.crucial.com/

and press "scan my system" its crucial which is a well known company and basically it runs an active x control and tells you every little detail you need to know right down to ram bus, mhz etc, also you should compare which ram you need and the ram you got to see whats wrong!

:)