PNY RAM Quality

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by T3hPreacher, Oct 1, 2011.

1. T3hPreacher macrumors member

I'm thinking about purchasing some PNY RAM (Fry's has 8 GB on sale for $35). I was wondering what sort of quality we're talking about here. MacMall also has some Kingston 4GB sticks on sale for $29 each, which would be entirely worth it if PNY has quality issues. I'm running into mixed reviews in other places, so was wondering what the experience of MacRumors users has been.

I know Kingston has a great reputation, so I don't need to know much about that (unless you've got any advice on how PNY stacks up against it!).

Thanks!

2. Theophany macrumors 6502a

Theophany

I've used PNY before, didn't have any issues. I think it's just generic stuff, hence the price.

3. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Newegg has Corsair and G.Skill 8GB kits for a few dollars more. I haven't checked today, but I think they were around $40.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I always thought pny was janky because, back in the day, office depot used to sell their memory and video cards which were extremely overpriced. Their usb thumb drives used to always die on me. For me i'd say your best bet vendor wise is the following based on my experiences:
    1. OEM (always tested)
    2. Crucial
    3 . G.Skill (RMA process is a pain)
    4. Kingston
    35. PNY

5. T3hPreacher, Oct 2, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

T3hPreacher thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot! What do you think about Corsair or Patriot?

6. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

Just thought I'd point out that PNY has some of the best quality high class (think 8/10) high capacity MicroSDs (16gb/32gb).

7. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

Just to throw my 2 cents into the pot, I am running the same 8gb Ram in my 2010 MBP for the past 8 months and I have had no issues at all.

8. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

RAM is more or less a commodity, there's only a few chip manufactures to begin with, so brand X, brand Y, and brand Z are most likely using the same chips...

Get whatever's cheapest.

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

No experience with either, but Corsair is big on the overclocking scene, so I think they would have good kit. Could be wrong, however.