Pobs! Now only $199.99! It's a steal!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by twotwo11, Feb 12, 2011.

1. twotwo11 macrumors member

Has anyone read this article yet? It's about a developer frustrated about the app store. I thought that I'd share this because the app store is one of the best but, it does have its flaws and this is one of them.

I just want to know you guys think and/or if any developers been through this before.

http://chipsteam.wordpress.com/2011/02/12/pobs-price-is-now-only-200/

2. landscapeman macrumors regular

3. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

Yep. He tried to hard. To bad the App Store is not as good as the Android Market.:rolleyes:

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

So they can't make an app good enough to get noticed, so instead of pulling it or improving it, they charge $20 and then complain about it? Yeah feeling real sorry for these guys.

6. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Nobody's going to buy it at that price either.

Bad marketing. Bad attitude.

7. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wow, that guy sounds real bitter.

8. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Amazing that their company blog seems to have 2 posts, both complaining about the iTunes App Store.

Not to say that an app should be judged by its icon, but dare I say it's not a very good game?

And what's a Pob? Cousin of a pog?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzelVpgSfVM

9. twotwo11 thread starter macrumors member

Well, I never heard of the app before today. I have an android phone and an iPod touch, but I barely download any apps on the android market, only the app store. There is a big difference between the two. I do get tired of the app store's top chart because it seems like the same apps are on it.

10. Polekat macrumors regular

Polekat

I bet he drops the price to $0.99 after this publicity and people will buy.

11. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Yep. Publicity stunt. It worked though, didn't it. Got attention? And that's what matters. Sure, some people may not buy it now on principle, but it does get it seen and might get some sales through that (once the price goes back down).

12. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I guess he's frustrated because he didn't sell any copy of his game.

13. gco212 macrumors 6502

Honestly, a really smart move for a decent payout. Sure, it is probably a terrible game, but once they put it back to a buck a game, I wouldn't be shocked if it made $5,000.

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Finally, A legit reason to just pirate an app. I bet the game sucks balls anyways.

15. rwd hero macrumors 6502

Just picked this app up for a steal at $199.99. Thanks for the misleading thread title.

16. nStyle macrumors 65816

I would never buy from this ****** developer who, by the way, has horrible grammar skills: "It didn’t earn absolutely nothing." Really?

Seriously, the whole blog post doesn't even make any sense. Their reason for bumping up the price: "Because we absolutely don’t care how much it will cost." This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. I believe the author should stick to developing if that is his role, and leave the business side to someone else.

17. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

"It didn’t earn absolutely nothing."

So it made money?

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

"I swear girls won't date me no matter what I do. I know, I'll stop bathing, let me hair grow out, let my teeth rot, and grab them in bad places when I first meet them. THAT'LL SHOW THEM!"

19. JASApplications macrumors 65816

20. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

twotwo sell your garbage anywhere else... Everyone who does not realize that HE/SHE is the dev should buy this game to be punished for his/her blindness.

:D mostly everything on app store is garbage and more or less a copy of itself.

21. sportster macrumors 6502

There is no suck thing as bad publicity... even if it is you doing your own reporting. lol

He does have a point, a whole lot of crap in the App Store. But, oh well that's the way it is. Any store/market is that way. 1 or 2 good products and lots of others coping it.

22. foiden, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011

foiden macrumors 6502a

This is just the simple aspect of simple economics. Throw your hand into a market that's saturated, you have to put a bit more effort into marketing to get your product noticed. Its the same everywhere, and not just in Digital land.

The day the Android gets half as many apps as the App Store, and they'll start to suffer the same thing. Even worse, when it can be from multiple sources. Where to look? How to sort it out?

It's why developers sometimes do much to request that people rate their games well so it's higher on the *noticed* list. Also why developers jump on the newer platform (like when iPad came out) early, just to get their foot in the door and be one of those developers with stuff while the market is still in low population.

The video game consoles may have a current easier time of getting your game noticed, but then again, they also have but only a small fraction of software on display for it. They also release very few titles at a time, and give users usually a whole week of the new being just your new title and perhaps another one.

It's just a different market, that's all. Steam is also similar, they don't just dump a bunch of things on you at once, they trickle them (though a bit faster).

Still, the App store is a bit different. And the state of the market has also become that way due to the demands of the Devs. They have a ton of them, and all of them want their app to release Now. They want the shortest wait time for their stuff to release. So the App Store ends up releasing a junk load of them at a time, and then more right afterwards. Unless you plan some Web marketing strategy, or perhaps post in some appropriate forums; you might get lost in the jumble. The consoles don't give in to that kind of pressure, and they only deal with *games*. The biggest thing is that if you have a game to release, it could be months or close to a year before it actually gets released on them. You are put on some queue for which you have to wait until the 20 or so releases before you get pushed out over months before yours enter the market.

This marketing stunt is just that. The dev obviously is lost on how the market works. Got very lucky on Android and didn't in the App Store.

Note: The App store can still do something to help, though. They need to increase the subdivision of categories, for quite a few of these apps. Not just in games, but everywhere. By now, especially by now, they should have a good grasp on the general subcategories/subgenres that litter their store, the least they could do is offer those as official category breakdowns. I mean, if the Folders feature can do it, that means they already have the metadata, why not use it in the App Store?

23. twotwo11 thread starter macrumors member

+1 Although, I just notice that the dev didn't mention anything about how it was advertised, or what was done prior to the price raised. I don't agree with what the dev did.

24. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Does he really bring up an issue about crap in the App Store? I won't lie- the App Store's 300,000+ apps aren't all very good, but I've used the Android Market many times, and it really is a huge crapfest. Try finding something by searching- you'll most likely go through thousands of themes or widgets or icons before finding what you were looking for.

My opinion is the blog post and the raising of the price was a plea for attention. I don't care if they make their game free though- it looks like a waste of time, so they didn't really appeal to me with their attention-seeking.