pocket cam and ipad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by myoldwatermill, Jan 15, 2011.

1. myoldwatermill macrumors member

I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Are there any pocket HD camcorders (like the kodak zi8 and flip) that can import directly to the ipad and be edited in say ReelEditor?

Anyone have experiences making movies sans a desktop or laptop, and using the ipad as a simple portable studio suite?

2. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

I would LOVE to know the answer to this is well. But after a couple of months of being torn between what camera to get to go with the iPad, in my iPad bag, I finally made my decision.

First, the criteria. I am not only a photographer, but a photography and computer teacher. So, I pretty much eat, breathe and sleep cameras and computers.

Second, I already have 6 personal DSLRs...partly because older cameras don't have that great of resale value, but also because my wife also shoots sometimes., and finally because I have specialized cameras...d3 is too big for most purposes, d90 has video and great for travel, d70ir is converted for ir only. Wife uses d300, d40 too old to sell but was perfect travel camera until the d90 came out. Oh, and the d700 is just a perfect camera, unless I am traveling and want video clips.

But, NONE of these fit in the iPad bag.

I also have a few P&S cameras, but they are older, and it was time to get a new one. I really wanted an underwater capable camera, but mainly just didn't want just another p&s. REALLY, I wanted an internet capable camera, something that would make sense wi the iPad, to be a great travel companion.

So, I searched, read, considered, agonized, etc., etc.

The more I looked, the more I decided that the best p&s cameras comi out right now are on cell phones, with the latest gen of 5-8mp cell phone cameras.

For a LITTLE bit, I considered other, non-ios cameras, like the droid 8mp phone. But in a stroke of genius input from my wife, she provided a moment of clarity to stick with same os. Duh...why didn't I see that so clearly.

So, I went to eBay and found a deal on a used iPhone 4..and bought it.

Now, at the time, I only bought it basically to have a wifi camera. I wanted to be able to take pictures, video, geotag shooting locations when using my dslrs, etc.

What ended up happening is nothing short of a minor miracle, technology speaking.

I discovered I could take the iPad 3g sim and put it in the non-phone iPhone (I call it iPad Jr) and it has been PERFECT. I don't think I could have written a better tech plan. I can take pictures, upload to anywhere, transfer to iPad, take the iPhone into stores to barcode, take notes in meetings, research, add to do items, add photos, make a movie (iMovie on the iPhone is pretty cool...already used it to merge clips from event...working on another), etc., etc.

A dedicated camera would be a better camera, but not a better overall device. Any small camera is still not going to be as good as the real thing, so the iphone has been the perfect compromise for me.

BTW, I did try the itouch 4...but what a sad excuse for a camera that was. I think Apple missed an awesome opportunitynto capture the small p&s market wig the iT4.

Anyway, I'll be watching this thread to see if anybody else has a better solution.

Oh, one other thought was that this decision paved the way for me to get my wife an iPad now, instead of waiting for a new iPad for me for her to get the old one. I decided that iPad 2 with camera will be really, really cool, but it will still be a large device to take into stores, restaurants, grocerers, etc. Don't take me wrong, I did just that. For the last 8 month, I took my iPad everywhere...on my bike, to theaters, everywhere. But now with the iPhone 4, the iPad has settled down more into a sedentary life...and serves it's purpose very, very well.

So, ultimately, I decided that unless Apple rocks the world with a higher than iPhone 4 camera resolution, say with a 10mp rear facing camera, which would be like Ansel Adams View Camera awesome, I should not feel compelled to get the iPad just for the camera.

3. myoldwatermill thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, the used iPhone situation sounds pretty good. But it's sorta out of my price range.

I would love to figure out an affordable solution, thought I'm sure the cheapest route won't be the easiest.

Any more input would be awesome.

Thanks Lokard.

4. SomeRandomUser macrumors newbie

I don't have an ipad. I've been playing the waiting game for The iPad Dos. Heh. I've just been doing a bunch of tests with my friends iPad and I'm loving that thing. Anyways...

I have a Panasonic GH1 and it shoots HD in both AVCHD and Mjpeg. When using his Camera Connect Kit it won't recognize the AVCHD, but it will upload and play flawlessly the Mjpeg HD shot footage. It's actually pretty sweet. I was pretty surprised that it can handle the HD playback smoothly.

As for the editing. He didn't have reeldirector so I can't comment. I too am curious about that. I did cut a video in half to email and it worked really well. The encode was fairly fast, but the video clip was edited to under a minute.

So I imagine it's doable, but I'm not sure for videos over a minute with multiple pieces of footage. The memory seems quite low for that, but I've edited on the 2004 imac with 256 of memory and it worked out alright. Just a lot of patience was needed.

I think if you really wanted to do some amount of decent editing, the 11inch air is more practical if portability is the issue.

The bottom line is anything that shoots in Motion Jpeg files should upload into the ipad. My GH1 720 Motion Jpeg loaded right into the ipad.

So cameras like The Lumix FP8 or FP1

Here's a cnet review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr5aiGTSnwg

and here's some footage
    http://vimeo.com/12541767

The price on Amazon is near the kodak one you mentioned. It looks decent. If you have an ipad, I would just bring an SD card into a camera store and take some footage from the camera to import and test on the ipad.

5. SomeRandomUser macrumors newbie

I forgot to mention that I'm not too sure how you would export the final footage without it being compressed. I assume the options would be limited in that sense.

6. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Forget about Flip and iPad. Because the Flip pulls power anytime it's connected to a USB port, it tries to pull power off the iPad, so the iPad won't let it import.

I have no problem taking video on my iPhone 4 and importing to iPad via the CCK (Camera Connection Kit) but can't do it with my Flip (late 2009 model, not the Flip HD).

I haven't used any other portable cameras for video besides the Flip, so not sure which others might or might not work.

7. myoldwatermill thread starter macrumors member

8. matt90036 macrumors regular

not sure what you need but let me throw a suggestion:
    http://www.eye.fi/