Pocket Dial Idea...just a thought.

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by newbreed23, Aug 3, 2013.

1. newbreed23 macrumors member

Hopefully some of you developers out there can let me know the feasibility of this idea. Pros and cons.

I was wondering if it would be possible to use the ambient light sensor to help reduce pocket dials. Most pocket dials probably start when the screen is lit up due to a notification. This activates the touch screen and then usually while moving the activated screen rubs against your leg and unlocks the phone. What if every notification began by turning on the ambient light sensor before the screen? If there is no light, like when your phone is in your pocket, bag or purse, the screen will not turn on and the phone would notify you through sound and vibration only. If there is enough light, then the screen would activate like normal. Also, if the notification is a phone call, the ambient light sensor would stay on during the entire time while it is ringing. This way, as you pull the phone out of your bag or pocket the screen begins to light up without having to hit the home or lock buttons. If I am thinking this through the right way, there should be little to no hit on battery life. The power to turn on the ambient light sensor should be balanced by the power you save by not turning on the screen as often. I would imagine turning on the screen would use slightly more power than the light sensor. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks a lot!

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Or, possibly, try this...

Attached Files:

• case.png
      case.png
      File size:
      228.1 KB
      Views:
  3. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

What if my phone is not in my pocket but just in the dark?

4. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

Maybe if the proximity sensor was used in conjunction with the light sensor only while the screen is light up from the notification so they aren't running all the time draining battery.

5. newbreed23 thread starter macrumors member

Good idea! After I posted this I thought, "What if it's just dark? Damn!" Haha. If the proximity sensor and ambient light sensor activate prior to the notification, that should work. What kind of battery hit would that result in? More or less than the screen turning on? That's really the key to this being a viable solution. It can't consume more power than the screen.

6. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

Yeah I agree, and considering the ambient light sensor is kind of always running and the proximity sensor is working the entire time your on a phone call for the soul propose of turning the screen off to preserve battery life and so your face doesn't activate the buttons on the touch screen.

It's a brilliant idea!

7. newbreed23 thread starter macrumors member

You're right. The purpose of those sensors is to conserve battery life in relation to the screen. I would imagine this idea has probably been brought up by apple programmers. They are pretty smart. There must be a reason they can't do it. Maybe it would decrease the life of the sensors. Not sure.

8. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

So essentially you only need the proximity sensor anyway. And have it so that after a notification comes, the sensor stays "on" for another 5-10 seconds, waiting for potentially taking the phone out of your pocket to check the notification. If the phone remains in the pocket, then the sensor turns off and the phone's screen never turns on. 5 seconds of sensing proximity per notification isn't hard on the battery at all, especially when you consider the alternative, which is powering on the screen.

9. newbreed23 thread starter macrumors member

You know, I think you're right. You really do only need the proximity sensor. That avoids the just dark problem. It also works for turning the screen on as you remove the phone from your pocket or bag to answer the phone. I like it!! Make it happen apple! Haha.