Pocket Dialing out of control, iP5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TableSyrup, Oct 26, 2012.

1. TableSyrup macrumors 6502

Ok.... I ALWAYS turn my screen off / lock my phone before throwing it in my pocket, but over the past 2 weeks my iP5 has been pocket dialing like crazy!

I've had it since launch day, and it's been doing this over the past two weeks.

At first, I thought it was dialing from my recent calls list, since it was a recent caller it had been dialing..... but just yesterday, it called two A's from my contact list .... two right next to each other (Although, it also called the number 3, so it is likely random)

It is not randomly launching apps, or opening messages, or ANYTHING else.... ONLY pocket dialing/calling.

So... anyone else having issues? This seems crazy to me. If I am locking my phone, how the crap is it pocket dialing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????

And how the crap is it ONLY calling, and nothing else.... ?????

2. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

make sure it ain't dialing 911 while having rough "relations"...

3. TableSyrup thread starter macrumors 6502

Bahahahahaaa.. u have no... nevermind.... if .... nevermind....

4. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Sounds silly but do you know for sure that it's touching you and dialing a contact and not just malfunctioning? Do you wear jeans?

Yesterday, I was out doing some yard work and wearing loose-fitting nylon-type shorts and it kept skipping my song GRRR... My solution: for one, lock the damn thing, two turn it around facing outward.

Try facing your phone outward in your pocket to see if the dialing stops.

5. TableSyrup thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I figured for the next couple days I'd face it out.

But, the main point is, I lock the phone. And I have a 5 digit passcode set.

No way I'm coincidentally pocket unlocking, passcoding, opening phone app, and dialing calls out.

Might call Apple. This isn't cool. I use this phone for business also, so this could be a bad thing, as a nuisance to my clients.

Should note, that it doesn't make calls when not in my pocket, so it is certainly a pocket dialing situation, but shouldn't be happening when locked.

Was just curious if this was happening to anyone else. Sounds like a trip to the Apple store

6. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Could it be siri? Activating Siri on accident and then you say something that makes it call those people? That's the only thing I could think of. But since it's been consistent in what it does and nothing else besides calling, it sounds more like a glitch.

7. TableSyrup thread starter macrumors 6502

hadn't thought of Siri....

Would be pretty tough to pocket press the home button though wouldn't it?

I don't throw anything else in the phone pocket

I'ts a glitch. shouldn't be a way to pocket dial with phone locked and passcoded

(Outside Siri I guess, any way to check Siri history??)

8. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Also, disable "shake to shuffle" in settings. Most likely what the problem is.

9. TableSyrup thread starter macrumors 6502

10. aztooh macrumors 6502a

I now NEVER have my phone screen facing out when in my pocket. I bumped into a corner of a table and smashed the screen on my BB one time. This was 3-4 years ago, screens today can probably withstand what it went through with no problem...but, lesson learned.

Shake to shuffle was directed at Leonard, not you.

As far as your problem, I'd say it's a glitch if you lock the screen and have a passcode set. My mom pocket dials ALL the time on her 4 and even now with the 4S. I've never once done it on a touch screen phone...don't even understand how it's possible aside from putting it in your pocket with the phone app already open and not locking the screen.

11. TableSyrup thread starter macrumors 6502

Ditto. Agreed.
    I also don't like rockin screen out for the same reason.
    I'm hard on phones. My last one (EVO 4G) was the only phone I haven't broke.... and hoping I don't break a iP5, but bought the AppleCare just in case

I'll hit a Apple Store this weekend and see what they say.

Ha... I thought the shake to shuffle suggestion was weird ;)

Funny side note, my buddy's MacBook had been randomly going to sleep.
    We are in music, and as it turns out, in a Bass heavy environment, like on top of a console or workstation above a sub, the vibration sensor gets worn and sensitive over time, and the bass is enough to trigger it and put the laptop to sleep... har har... thought that was a tricky one ;)

12. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

oh don't get me wrong... I know... I put it facing inward by habit all the time. I just bumped into my bed frame thing today (at perfect phone level mind you) and was thankful the screen wasn't facing outward.

But... just as a test to see if there's really a problem with the phone or if it's getting touched, the OP could turn it around for a bit.

13. Bushy162 macrumors member

14. aumelle macrumors newbie

I've got the exact same thing but I think I found out why this is happening:
    1) It's a voice dialing thing
    2) It never happened to any of my previous iPhone so I guess it's the taller size making the iPhone 5 sit differently in my pocket than the smaller iPhones

I had to switch on pass code in the settings and then disable voice dialing so that the voice dialing aspect of voice control is disabled. Hardly a solution as I just want to switch off voice control completely but that's not possible in iOS 6...

15. randyfb macrumors newbie

iP5 Pocket Dialing

Found this tread after 3 pocket dials today and several in the past weeks since the update to Version 6.1.4. Never had a problem with this before and never pocket dialed with my iPhone4s. Use a 1 minute autolock with passcode and just can't figure out how it is dialing. Did test the Siri idea and see that it could bypass the screen lock and voice dial but don't think that is what is happening since I never hear Siri's sweet voice. Do have tap factory calling shortcuts on main page and the numbers I pocket dial have been one of these but still the screen should be locked. Any new ideas on this?

16. jtara macrumors 65816

It's not just pocket dialing - it's also running random apps, setting alarms and timers, etc., etc. etc.

I'm in Miami Beach for RubyConf, and have been using Navigon in walking mode and bluetooth headphones, and it is really frustrating. I was going to dinner with two co-workers (and didn't have the headsets on) and as we were walking down a crowded street, we heard this weird "boy-oy-oy-oy-oing!" sound, and we all snickered and thought it was somebody's idea of a cool car horn. (It was that kind of a street scene... it would NOT have been out of place.)

No. IT WAS MY PHONE! It was the "boing" Classic Ringtone. (Go listen, if you want to know how embarassing this was...)

And - please - app writers - STOP THE SHAKE TO (insert shake action here) MADNESS!

No, Google, I do *not* want to send feedback every time I swing my phone in the processing of putting it into my pocket or taking it out.

Edit: sorry to have accidently revived an old thread. My phone is a 5S, not a 5. I suppose it should have a new thread. I've never had a 5, so can't comment on whether the 5S differs or not. Never had any problem like this with my 4S. As the first poster stated, though, the 5S pocket nonsense if totally out of control.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Share for Feedback can disabled in the settings.

18. Civvienow macrumors newbie

Pocket dialing

I've recently had an issues with this :mad: if iPhone is locked and password protected and you hold down the home key it brings up a voice control menu that is usable . Unfortunately I don't know how to disable this ? Any thoughts

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

Settings > Passcode and check for Siri and/or Voice Dial settings for "Allow Access When Locked".

That said, it's rather strange that the home button would get activated and then Siri/Voice Dial actually calls someone.