Pocket fluff genius

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blinkie, Nov 2, 2015.

1. blinkie macrumors regular

Apple genius just pulled four years worth of pocked fluff out of my phones power socket. Phone now fixed.

2. techspin macrumors 6502a

What..

Why didn't you take it out yourself? This is probably why appointments are booked out by a few days in stores now.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Pockets are nasty and will clog up the phone jack sometimes, too.

4. blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sorry. Did I hold up your life?

5. blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

Aye it got me wondering. I had no idea that was the problem. The lint was so compacted inside. I've seen quite a few folk online complaining about their phones no longer charging. I wonder how many of them bought new phones when a 'de-fluff' would have fixed the issue?

6. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

You'd better check your belly button ASAP.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

The fluff is only fluff until you plug it up and it keeps compressing it until it can no longer connect with the charger. Just carefully clean it out gently with a wood toothpick. Be careful and all will be good.

The head phone jack is another story and it can not be cleaned out without taking the phone apart.

8. techspin macrumors 6502a

:p Didn't mean to hurt you blinkie. Enjoy your de-fluffed phone.

9. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

There are some places man should never go.

10. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

You could probably blow the headphone jack out with an air line as long as it's not badly jammed in there.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Huh. This has never been a problem for me. No matter what pocket I use, my iPhone/phone goes into it upside down. I HATE having to pull a phone out of my pocket and then flip it around to use it or in the case of carrying it screen in pulling out by the top and then having to shift my grip downward.

With my phone facing screen outwards and upside down when I grab it from the bottom and lift it up it's oriented correctly to use immediately. No dropping it in trying to turn it around or get a better grip and no lint or other crap to migrate into the lightning port or headphone jack.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

It works the same way for me but with the screen facing my leg (instead of outward).

13. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

Yeah this happened to my 6 and it was so jammed that the charger wouldnt stay in and i was like ok whats going on here. Turns out the charging port was clogged about half way with cat hair and dust

14. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

TBH I thought everyone carried there phone this way lol besides the screen being outward.i carry my toward my leg, however everything else is the same and have never had a "fluff" issue lol

15. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

I prefer to not use compressed air as it can also blow the dust into areas you will not be able to get out. A simple toothpick and you are done.

16. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Had an issue with mine not charging about 18 months ago and on searching found the suggestion of cleaning it out to remove the compacted fluff. 30 seconds later and one straightened paper clip it was clean and been fine ever since.

17. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Lmao.... Only on macrumor's forums will you see alternate opinions on how to place a phone in pocket.

18. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

I cringe when I hear people using metal paper lip to clean out charging socket. Why not add spray bottle of soapy water as well.

19. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

I love this thread....cat hair? We should start listing what people find jammed in charging port.

20. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Funny that's what I told my proctologist.

21. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I find that depends on where one was reared.

22. bransoj macrumors 6502a

All i had to hand at the time and didnt cause an issue. It probably wasnt the best choice of implement to use but never mind eh!

23. blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

When the genius got one of these out I started to get worried.
    [​IMG]

24. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Yeah, this happens from time to time. Had a few customers have that issue. The plug wouldn't stay seated. I knew right away it was packed full o' pocket lint. I clean my phone out every few months. Just the nature of the beast.

If you clean it out yourself, use only plastic! No metal. If you want to use a paper clip, use a coated paper clip.