Pocket Informant issue - don't panic?!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by TraceyS/FL, Jan 18, 2010.

1. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Attached Files:

2. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

It wasn't Apple who pulled it, the devs pulled it because there was some issue with it. They already submitted an update and it should be available soon.

3. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

If you have PI, a simple work around pending the updated version being available, is to disable Safari in Settings>General>Restrictions. This will prevent PI calling Safari to go to the webpage and the app stays running.

4. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

But wouldn't Apple had to have disabled it on my Touch?

I'm curious as to how they got it to do that...... hmmmm....... must finish reading the thread.

I am just surprised that it hadn't been posted anywhere - and obviously i hadn't needed to check my calendar for a few days either.....

ETA: the spray paint fumes cleared my head.... LOL! I know why i thought Apple pulled it - but don't you just love the smell of paint??? :p

5. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Apple didn't disable it on your device. The developer left beta code in the app by mistake. The app expired on Jan. 15th, causing it to go to the developers website when launched. The developer has submitted an update to the app store to fix.

6. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

I've never seen a more incompetent bunch of developers. The app has been wrought with problems from the beginning. For every bug/problem they fix they introduce two more. It might be best for them to just keep the app pulled and let the customers find a calendar app that actually works.

7. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I think that's a little harsh. The developer already mentioned it was a major screw up. He is at the mercy of the App Store approval process now.

By the way, Pocket Informant is a great app. I never had a problem with it.

8. marcopolo007uk macrumors member

Agreed, the dev's put their hands up straight away and tried to help as quickly as possible... Ive missed the app whilst it's been offline but just resorted to the inferior ical as a work around. Hopefully new version should be available soon.

(First attempt was rejected by Apple due to some text in the install instructions!)

9. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

Why miss it? Just disable Safari temporarily in Settings>General>Restrictions and PI will launch as normal.

10. stockscalper macrumors 6502a

stockscalper

Well, let's look at their recent history. V 1.1 was full of bugs. With everybody reporting various bugs and complaining on the PI boards the developers sold v 1.2 heavily as a panacea - the fix all to end all fix alls. Just hang on they promised help is coming and this edition will be better than anything you've ever seen. As soon as 1.2 was released not only were many of the bugs from the previous edition addressed but a number of new ones were introduced. Same story - hang on v 1.2.1 is coming and it will be a cure all. Well, it got introduced and the app has been shut down due to the incompetence of the developer. For every problem they address they seem to introduce two more. And as for them being contrite now that they have really screwed up, it's because they can't find a way to blame the end user. Normally when you report a bug or problem you get one of two answers a) it's your fault and you don't know how to use the product or b) the problem doesn't exist because we can't reproduce it. And that's if you're lucky enough to get a response.

Or they blame Apple for everything that's gone wrong - and by the way they've done a good job of getting their WM lemmings to go around the discussion boards putting the blame on Apple for PI's various problems and shortcomings. Another case in point. After one of the updates there were reports from users that alarms were either being dropped when the calendar was synced with Google or the alarms weren't going off. First, they ignored the reports, then then when there were too many complaints the developers began blaming Apple for all PI's woes regarding alarms. Turns out the problem was with PI's own servers that pushed the alarms, yet they had people believing it was Apple's problem.

No, we the consumer have a right to expect better out of an app that is one of the more expensive apps. Just because Windows Mobile is a buggy, screwed up operating system, as are the apps that run under it, it doesn't mean WM developers can expect to dump junk on the iPhone market and expect us to just accept crap like the WM consumers do. We're Apple users, we know what good quality is and we expect better.

11. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

I've never been a WM user, so don't assume I'm a WM lemming...

Generally, I've been quite happy with Pocket Informant, and the developer has done a pretty decent job of making it more functional and faster. It was a couple versions ago that deleting a single recurring appointment would take up to twenty seconds to process, a frustrating process when I've got ten more to delete. That's history though, it doesn't take nearly as long.

I've also noticed that of the four or five Gcal apps that I've tried, Pocket Informant is the most reliable when it comes to sync, and that when it doesn't sync due to an unlocked captcha, PI is the only app to redirect me to Safari and the Google unlock captcha page. All the other apps simply give me an error code.

Seriously, PI is one of a few apps that I wonder how I did without. I expect that it'll get more stable, faster, and more functional, all based on their past performance on just this platform alone.

Certainly there have been some bugs, and PI might not be suited to a power user just yet, but for most people, I think it does a very fair job.