Pocket-sized Ethernet-to-Wifi: Is there such a thing?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nagromme, Apr 15, 2008.

1. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Does anyone make a really tiny adapter that plugs into a computer's ethernet port and lets it access WiFi?

(I know they have little USB WiFi adapters--but those need drivers.)

I'm thinking that might be a great pocket solution to share data between my Air and family members' various old machines. With no driver worries. Plus I could slap it on someone else's wired router (or WiFi-less hotel port) and gain WiFi for myself when I visit!

I want cheap and small: preferably just a dongle with no cord. One ethernet port--or jack--is all I need.

Thanks for any leads! (I know I could just get the Air ethernet adapter, but I'd prefer wireless.)

2. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Wirelessly posted (Erendiox: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I think the closest you're going to get to this is an Airport Express. They're $99 nowadays, I think.

3. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

Maybe so. I'm hoping someone makes something the size of those little USB WiFi dongles. (And cheaper: I don't need wireless printing or music.)

I know ethernet provides no power, so there would still need to be a power cord or USB tether.