Pocket Watch resurgence

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mhuggett, Mar 12, 2015.

1. mhuggett macrumors newbie

mhuggett

Hello,

Haven't noticed this talked about anywhere else, and sure a pocket watch is something from a bygone era but I remain curious about a smart watch in the foot print of a pocket watch. Maybe with ability for arm band (for the sport side of things). Certainly the entire point of convenience would be impacted, aka just another device in our pocket...

So maybe a pointless curiosity...

Mike

2. ledzepfan1981 macrumors regular

ledzepfan1981

There is a new smartphone I have seen recently which is round and looks like a pocket watch. Can't remember its name though.

If you wanted to have your AW as a pocket watch, you could always take the band off!

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Couldn't you just put your iPhone in your pocket? ;)

The main selling point of the :apple:Watch is that it's wearable technology you can access without rummaging in your pockets, so a pocket version would be pretty pointless.

4. mhuggett thread starter macrumors newbie

mhuggett

No question on that. On the surface, convenience factor is clearly reduced. Yet, surface area would enable (from a fashion perspective) greater intricacy in design, creative in making devices more unique to each person, swap-able front or back plates, more room for additional advances in functionality and then in terms of skin contact, strap it on wrist or arm band it.

Phones are great, but it seems they are increasing in size, I have a iPhone 6 plus and now can't believe how I got by with a iPhone 4s. A watch (wrist or pocket) is a glance device. Pocket seems it could be bigger then what one may be willing to put on a wrist.

But you are right, if the objective is only convenience (which it certainly seems to be today), then the wrist is where it stops.

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Humanity.

Wall Clock > Pocket Watch > Wrist watch > Smartphone (pocket watch) > Smart watch (wrist watch) > smart watch in pocket? (pocket watch again?)

6. melman101 macrumors 68030

Couldn't you just remove the straps and have a pocket watch? Maybe get a case that you can put the watch in and close, and bam, pocket watch.

7. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

This is getting silly. My iPhone is already a pocket watch.

8. mhuggett thread starter macrumors newbie

mhuggett

Agreed, I was originally thinking along the lines of the art, not the tech so much. Tech is becoming ubiquitous, the art separates it. I still think it would be something impressive. Much more of a 'looker' then the current bland watch format.

9. ledzepfan1981 macrumors regular

ledzepfan1981

I agree with you. I have a gold pocket watch, but it's just for show really. I rarely use it to look at the time!