PocketMac for Blackberry

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigdb11, Mar 29, 2009.

1. bigdb11 macrumors regular

So I downloaded the updated for the unibody MBPs but still can't get my Blackberry to sync with address book. Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas how to fix? Thanks!

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Does it try to sync but nothing happens and PocketMac just hangs there?

3. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

It says that it is syncing then finishes, but nothing changes on the BB or Mac.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So this is the first time you're trying to sync the two devices, right? Here are some thoughts... apologies if some of them are kind of obvious, but they're the kind of problems I had with PocketMac.

- Make sure that you actually went through the various settings and that you've turned on syncing for all the kinds of data you want to sync.

- If your Berry is password locked, try plugging it in, then unlocking it, and then starting MissingSync.

- If your Berry is encrypted, try at least temporarily turning the encryption off, and see if it can sync.

5. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, it's not any of those. It worked the first time I ever synced my mac to my BB. Then, I tried t sync recently but it kept hanging. So, I updated the driver and now it doesn't hang, but doesn't sync either.

Anyone else have a problem with their unibody and blackberry?

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

No, I sync just fine. What I suggest you do is uninstall PocketMac and reinstall it with the updated driver and then perform your first sync.

7. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

i really wish they would just make a desktop manager for macs

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Supposedly they are working on one, but ETA is unknown.:(

9. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

Rumor from the CES, was first half of 2009. They have 3 months.

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'm assuming OP doesn't have Windows installed?

11. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

Nope. I've already tried uninstall and reinstall - doesn't help. It comes up identifying the missing contacts but then when i say to change on device, nothing happens.

12. Steve686 macrumors 68020

Steve686

I tried for 3 months to get the program to work on my UMBP.

I did at one point get the phone to actually be recognized, but it would never sync correctly.

Have you tried the forums at Crackberry? There are some very detailed processes over there that work for some people, but not for others. I fell into the category of "others".

13. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

good, cuz im tired of dealing with backups in parallels. Seems like i can back up a few times then something goes wrong.

ive also heard that missing sync is better than pocket mac, though, i dont use them b/c im mostly concerned with backing up my info, not syncing it w my mac. It bugs me when reminders pop up on my phone and mac for the same thing.

14. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

What do you backup contacts with? I downloaded the demo of missing sync and that worked. Don't really wanna spend $40 for the full thing.

15. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

i have the desktop manager on parallels on XP. i had parallels 3 and it kept messing up, so i got 4 and it works fine now. But yah, it sucks you cant back up and restore off of pocket or msync. but i needed excel in windows for a class since some douche decided mac office 08 didnt need VBA, so thats pretty well the only reason i have parallels and consequently the BB desktop manager.

16. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

UPDATE:

So, I uninstalled again, then looked at the directions on the mark space page. While, most, if not all of the files listed there to delete were not on my system, there were several other files related to pocketmac and missing sync that i deleted. Then restarted, reinstalled pocketmac and driver update. On my first attempt PocketMac froze. I forced quit, then tried again and it worked.

PocketMac is a real pain, however, i'm just glad it works now. Hopefully there will be a better option soon.