Pockets overflowiing. Who carries a bag everywhere, everyday?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by entatlrg, Jul 1, 2010.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Do you carry a 'bag', (messenger, backpack, shoulder bag), everywhere?

If so,
    - What do you carry in it?
    - What kind of bag do you have, (backpack, messenger..?)

Keys, Wallet, iPhone fit in pockets no problem. Add an iPad, 3x5 moleskin notebook, a usb stick, sub compact camera, sometimes my 13" MBP and other stuff then it's necessary to carry it all in something.

I'm not a fan of man bags or carrying a bag everywhere, but if I want to bring things I need I have no choice .... There certainly is a lot of men who carry a bag everyday now.

So far I've found a smaller backpack, (Eagle Creek Hitch), it works okay but a heck of a lot better that the few Tom Bihn bags I tried, (Ristretto and Amigo).

2. ethical macrumors 68000

How many of these threads are we going to have?

EDIT: Just looked and you created the other one as well....

3. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Well, THANK YOU Mr. Post Policeman.

4. ethical macrumors 68000

You're welcome. Did you forget you created the other one then? Not to worry, you can report your first post, and include a link to the original thread you made, and a mod will merge them.

Enjoy your evening forum user. I'll go back to patrolling.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Why do you carry all the crap with you everywhere you go?
    For 90% of the things we do keys, Wallet and cell phone has us covered.
    I put a 4G USB flash stick on my keys so I do have one of those with me but that is on my keys. My other 2 USB flash drives are on my backpack that I only carry on me if I am going 2 and from class and it also has my laptop in it.

When I had a job I took a backpack to work every day and that would just sit by my desk but it carry lunch and work stuff 2 and from home.

6. duncanapple macrumors 6502

I also have a hard time believing anyone lugs all that junk around all the time? A notebook? An iPad? Vacation or a long trip, sure. But just out and about? What are you going to do with an iPad or memory stick at the grocery store? Even the camera, I know the times I am going to want it and the times I dont. Carrying it and taking pictures of my daily life = boring. Besides, the iphone does a good enough job for the random funny things I encounter in a normal day. This thread and the other one amazes me. I don think I know a single person in "real life" that carries more than the standard wallet/phone/keys. If your a girl with a purse, sure throw in the sunglasses, chapstick, floss, etc. But thats about it :confused:

7. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

Wallet
    iPhone
    Keys

Do you NEED to take everything with you?

8. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Yes, my Brenthaven Trek goes wherever I go. What's in it? Laptop (my life, in other words), papers, books, newspaper (yes, I read one of those too), keys, cell phone, vitamins, headache tablets, drink, ipod, extra set of ear buds, tissue paper, wallet... you get the picture. I just don't get these people who walk around with nothing on them.

9. rymack macrumors regular

rymack

Well, I started carying a canvas bag/satchel/man-bag/whatever in university, and have ever since. I don't have it ALL the time, but for work (substitute teacher) and for longer outings I will carry it. I used to have an amazing bag I got from an Old Navy in Chicago, but it split. I now use the Raiders bag from Roots. It is GORGEOUS, but leather, and very expensive, so I don't use it as much casually as I would like for fear of ruining it or wearing it out prematurely. The nice thing about it is that I can use it while dressed for teaching (it is professional looking), but it also doesn't look out of place while using it with jeans and a t-shirt.

http://canada.roots.com/RaidersBagInVintageTribeLeather/leatherBags//18050164,default,pd.html?cgid=LeatherBagsViewAll&selectedColor=2402

10. pooryou macrumors 65816

Keys. Wallet. iPhone.

That should be all you need really. The whole point of the iPhone is that you don't have to carry all kinds of other crap around because it can do so much.

11. ethical macrumors 68000

How often when you're randomly out and about do you pull out your laptop? When you do, what do you do with it?

Newspaper...I'll read on my phone when I'm on the go.
    Books (plural?). How many do you plan on getting through when you go out?
    Extra set of buds? Just in case the first pair breaks and you can't survive the rest of the day?

I just don't get these people who go out everyday like they're not going to be coming back for several weeks.

Were/are you a Scout by any chance? :p
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

thats alot of stuff op

i like being a minimalist when im out and about

13. Dify macrumors member

I do.

Iphone, wallet, ipod, keys, moleskin/pen, book, cigarets.

14. MechaSpanky macrumors 6502

MechaSpanky

When I lived in America, I didn't carry a bag but sometimes I would use a backpack when I went to work (carrying a notebook, pens, etc). Most of the time nothing but my wallet and keys (no cell phone).

In America, I don't think it is as accepted for men to carry a bag as it is in other parts of the world. Maybe in large cities (like New York and San Fran it is okay but other places it isn't see as much). Often people will say that if you are a man and you carry a bag, you are more than a little feminine. I completely disagree but that is what people think (unless you are a university student perhaps).

Now I live in Japan and I carry a bag everywhere. You have to carry a bag. When you don't drive you are often forced to carry things you buy longer distances and having your own bag is handy. Also you need to carry an umbrella with you always and your cell phone, electronic dictionary, pens and paper, and possibly a laptop. Almost everyone carries a bag here, I rarely see anyone (men or women) without a bag.

I use a cheap but incredibly sturdy black messenger bag from Mujirushi (a popular Japanese store but they have a shop in New York and possibly other places). I would love to get a Saddleback Leather back but they are a little expensive (but by the looks of them, well worth the price). A nice bag from here will set you back $400-$600!

Mujirushi website (be careful it is a terrible Flash site).
    http://www.muji.com/

Saddleback Leather (also uses Flash heavily but you can see things well enough even if you are blocking Flash).
    http://www.saddlebackleather.com/

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I do during the week. Laptop bag and/or gym bag.

16. pooryou macrumors 65816

I see your point, but speaking for myself I actually couldn't care less what people think (and would never be mistaken for feminine).

I just don't like carrying a load of junk around unless I'm on a trip or something.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't carry around a bag everyday. I usually just have my wallet, keys, iPhone. Most days I don't need anything more than that.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I normally carry my Crumpler Wee Bee if I'm going somewhere far, if not I just take my phone and sometimes wallet.

19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If I'm carrying that much crap with me, there's about a 99% chance I'm either on my way to/from work or to/from an airplane. For those occasions I use a rolling briefcase (in those cases, I carry quite a bit more than what you listed).

But as far as going "everywhere"? Keys, wallet, phone, pocketknife. They fit in my pockets.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Looking for a Man purse huh. I'm sure that will be a hit with the ladies :p

Me, I carry, phone, keys, wallet. No need to worry about carrying a purse like some sort of Nancy-Boy :D

21. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I'm assuming this thread was aimed at men, but since it doesn't specifically say that, here is my list...

I carry a black leather Michael Kors bag that I picked up because my iPad fits in it. The every day items I carry are:

Wallet
    Makeup bag with all of my "everyday" makeup and brushes
    Glasses
    Small black notebook
    Pen and Pencil
    Hair clip
    Ponytail holder
    Travel toothbrush, toothpaste and floss
    Lip balm
    Tampons and liners
    Cuticle scissors
    Nail clippers
    Work badge(s)
    Pack of gum
    Headphones

Pretty sure that's it...

Edit: Oh, and a deck of cards. Almost forgot my cards...

22. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I'm exactly the same way. For day to day stuff when not at work - keys, moneyclip, and my phone are all I need. My sunglasses get hooked to the top of my shirt when indoors.

For work, it all goes in either my suitcase or computer case. One of these days I'll get off my ass and take up golf, and start taking a set of clubs with me too. ;)

23. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

iPhone, Keys, Wallet and umm chapstick. I'm addicted to the stuff. Ugh.

24. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

What I carry almost daily.

Cargo pants, 4 pockets:
    wallet
    keys
    iPhone
    (used to carry a small notepad in the 4th pocket but not lately)

Bag:
    17" MBP
    charger
    iPad
    Folder of envelops and shipping supplies
    headphone
    Sync cable
    ethernet cable
    charger extension cable
    blank optical disks
    audio adapter cables
    mouse
    mouse pad
    pen
    paperclip
    USB thumbdrives
    cologne
    floss
    gum
    and more

Sometimes firewire powered external RAID

I need to take a photo of all those things. You should see me when I run an event.

25. rymack macrumors regular

rymack

wow. that's impressive. I'm trying to figure out what type of bag to get next. I want a new camera bag for my DSLR kit (satchel/messenger style), but i also want a new mesenger bag for my sketchbook and art supplies, so that I don't ruin my leather bag that I use when I'm teaching....
    Crumpler looks awesome...