Poco-F1, the TRUE flagship killer

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by pika2000, Aug 22, 2018.

1. pika2000 macrumors 601

The OnePlus One WAS a unique and great flagship killer, at incredible price. But OnePlus now has turned into just another Chinese phone with uninspiring design and prices that are creeping up every year.

Now we have the Poco-F1, courtesy of Xiaomi.
    https://www.mi.com/in/poco-f1/specs/

Can't wait for this phone to be released. My only gripe is the stupid hybrid dual SIM slot (although with the option for 256GB internal storage, I guess not having an SD card shouldn't be an issue), and lack of waterproofing. But the price is really mouth watering.

And I'm glad they go back to plastic. We seriously have forgotten that a phone is a tool, not some metal/glass jewelry that needs to be handled with gloves. I miss having a phone without a case and not having to worry about it. The kevlar one looks slick!

Xiaomi did it again, making all other Android OEMs look like incompetent and overpriced products.

2. ramram55 macrumors 6502a

Xiaomi is making India their launch pad for the top phones. Imagine adding 3 more factories and with total capacity of 6 plants, churning out literally 2 phones every second. Out gunning Samsung as number one phone seller in that country.

3. flameproof macrumors 6502a

flameproof

The bezel design looks a bit strange. And it has no NFC. That's a pity and makes it a no-buy. The hardware is certainly good.

IMHO, you don't need a SD card slot if you have lots of storage. 2 SIM is good, and very few phones have real 2 SIM + SD capabilities.

4. GigabitEthernet macrumors 6502a

5. nviz22 macrumors 603

nviz22

I am all for Xiaomi having success with phones like this, so here's to hoping they expand their American GSM bands to include ones like 4, 12, 30, 71 LTE to succeed with T-Mobile/AT&T customers and their MVNOs.

I really like their latest Android One device with the 1080p display w/ minimal bezels and 4-6 GB RAM. I really want Nokia, Xiaomi, and others to bring complacent manufacturers back to reality. We are looking at you, Samsung/LG/HTC/Sony/Apple/Google.

6. GigabitEthernet macrumors 6502a

Lack of NFC is annoying, especially if this is to target the EU.

7. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

It’s crazy how many phones North America misses out on.

8. ramram55 macrumors 6502a

It is carriers are the culprit. They want their cut for promoting phones. Outside US, Xiaomi is selling good in India, where they have 6 assembly plants, literally churning out 2 phones every second. Their sale is number uno beating Samsung.

9. nviz22 macrumors 603

nviz22

It's probably because the major OEMs could lobby Congress, state governments, and local governments to make it tougher to penetrate the American market. Then you have to factor in crap like CDMA and Qualcomm's foothold on network tech. Plenty of reasons why those major Chinese OEMs cannot penetrate the American market as easily like Huawei or Motorola/Lenovo.

10. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

North Americans get awesome deals on flagships but lose out on pretty much all of the good budget phones. This phone and the Moto one power most recently.

11. Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502a

I can live without wireless charging but not NFC. I pay with my phone anytime payments are below £30. Sometimes I don't even bother bringing my wallet when going to a store.

12. nviz22 macrumors 603

nviz22

Can't have it all. Poco-F1 and other Nokia options would put the desire for a flagship Android big brand to rest since you can get flagship specs at affordable prices.

13. tonybarnaby macrumors 65816

I also wonder if it has to do with patent laws in America vs a place like India.

14. nviz22 macrumors 603

nviz22

IP laws definitely play a part into phone sale availability. Qualcomm controls the CDMA market, so they get a lionshare of potential profits. Then you have to see the iPhone clones and those wouldn't fly by in the US markets either. Plenty of other instances too.

15. flameproof, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018

flameproof macrumors 6502a

flameproof

That phone is far from killing anything. Top end basic phone is more correct.

Don't get me wrong, Xiaomi makes good phones. But so far there wasn't any 'killer' phone from nobody.

PS: Do iPhones now have workable NFC? I read that they still don't have it. It's nice to have a NFC tag in your car and use it to switch your phone to car mode.

16. Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502a

By car mode, do you mean Android Auto? If so, Android phones can be configured to automatically launch CarPlay when they connect to a car via Bluetooth.

17. MrGodzilla macrumors newbie

MrGodzilla

I love how Xiaomi has produced a phone with the same or better specs than the rest of their range but less expensive.

18. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

Wow that is one heck of a nice phone! I can't figure out the price though can anyone help me??

19. Klyster macrumors 68000

Klyster

20. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

Ouch, I got my answer for the price, $300 pretty good and no wonder Samsung has lost market share.

21. Cryates, Sep 6, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2018

Cryates macrumors 68020

Cryates

At the price point it's not necessarily a deal-breaker, but that's a pretty significant corner to cut imo. A lot of folks wouldn't be happy to know they can't do HD Netflix, Hulu, etc.

Not knocking the phone though, still a great price for what you get.

22. Klyster macrumors 68000

Klyster

Has anyone tried through a browser rather than the native app?
    Netflix and YouTube can run through a browser.

23. JaySoul macrumors 68030

JaySoul

Totally agree about plastic-backed phones... There needs to be a comeback for them.

Sick of this glass back nonsense. It's fragile, it's slippery, it's a fingerprint magnet and the first thing I do is wack a case on. Also, plastic is better for waves etc to pass through than glass.

24. MrGodzilla macrumors newbie

MrGodzilla

Do people generally watch Netflix on their phone? I have never actually watched Netflix on my phone so it's definitely not a deal breaker for me, and the plastic back is weirdly a nice change from all the shiny metal and glass backs. They had to cut corners somewhere.