Podcast app

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by stampax, Oct 19, 2013.

1. stampax macrumors member

Hi all,
    I'm after a podcast app that will automatically download new podcasts for me (via 3g as well as on wifi). I believe this is what the official apple app is supposed to do - but never seems to work for me - when i go to see if my podcasts have downloaded it will often show it as being there, but not yet downloaded - it's like it wont start till i prod it and remind it.

Any ideas and recommendations?

2. StevenB14 macrumors regular

StevenB14

I use Downcast and I'm sure it allows for automatic downloads. Great Podcast app.

3. Xteec, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013

Xteec macrumors regular

I use pocket casts .

It gives you control over which podcasts you want to auto download and whether you want it over cellular. It's all done in the background as well (iOS 7).

I tolerated the Apple one for a long time...it's pretty bad when it comes to syncing and auto-downloading...unpredictable. I switched for the exact same issue you're talking about.

4. Puonti macrumors 6502a

I tested both Instacast 4 and Pocket Casts 4 when they were released and in the end chose PC4 thanks to great syncing / fetching and appealing look / feel / usability (which is highly subjective, of course).

I believe both would do what you want better than Apple's Podcasts.

5. Solitude1984 macrumors 6502

Solitude1984

I use downcast also. It has settings for everything you want (OP), and it's just a great podcasting app all around.

6. guy999 macrumors newbie

i have noticed that downcast needs to be launched or it won't autoupdate... it does autoupdate well, but if the app is not launch it won't auto download.

7. stampax thread starter macrumors member

Went for downcast - so thanks for recommendations. It was the more expensive app so i figured more expensive = better :)

Will post again to let you know if im happy with it after a few days!

8. stampax thread starter macrumors member

Gotta laugh - just after i pay for an app - apple updates it own podcasts app and according to reports does exactly what i wanted it to!

9. musicjunky macrumors regular

Pleasant surprise to see the new Podcast app. Haven't dived into the new features but it looks nicer!

10. GIZBUG, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

11. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

:d

12. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

While Downcast is a great app, I actually just went back to the Apple Podcast app.