Podcast Direct Downloads Destroy My iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by blairh, Jun 17, 2010.

1. blairh macrumors 68040

Dec 11, 2007
    One of my favorite features on my iPhone is the ability to download podcasts directly onto it via the iTunes app on the home screen. It's especially nice that I can then delete said podcast with a swipe of a finger.

However since day one of my 3G iPhone (October 2008) I have had the same continuing issue. Not always but often times the direct downloading of podcasts via iTunes will cause some sort of problem. It varies. Sometimes all the music stored on my iPhone will vanish. Sometimes the iPod function will crash after I try to access it once the podcasts are finished downloading. Sometimes I'll swipe a podcast to delete it, go to part 2 of the same show, and part 1 that I deleted will play again.

There are ways around these issues but it's frustrating and tiring. When the music vanishes all I have to do is reconnect the iPhone to my MBP and without even syncing everything reappears once the iPhone is disconnected. When part 1 of a podcast plays after deleting it instead of part 2 I just need to play a song for a few seconds and then revert back to playing the podcast I want to listen to.

Sometimes I'll download a podcast or two and when I go to open it in the iPod various previous shows from said podcast will appear in my library that I deleted in the past.

To put it simply, it's buggy as hell. These issues have continued with every software update. I've tried to completely restore my iPhone on several occasions, same issues. I should also mention that last fall I had my original 3G phone replaced after having a series of hardware issues. The replacement 3G phone however has continued the buggy podcast trend.

A friend suggested I just download podcasts directly onto my MBP and sync them according. My issue with this is that I'll need to incorporate my MBP instead of just downloading directly onto my iPhone. No, that wouldn't be the end of the world but if I shouldn't have to go that route in the first place.

Every OS update hasn't changed a thing.

Sometimes I think that iPhone 4 will be the end of my problems but I worry that this issue will only persist. Your feedback is appreciated. If I have to start downloading directly onto my MBP and syncing I will but I'd like to avoid doing so. And as for subscribing to podcasts, I typically listen to two different shows consistently. One show I pick and choose depending on the guest. The other I listen to daily. Thanks.
  2. klitorisaurus macrumors member

Jun 10, 2010
    I know exactly what you mean, my old 3G was always wiping itself randomly. Now with my wife's month-old 3GS, I download a podcast, and it doesn't show up in the iPod app... Then when I plug the phone into iTunes, it shows the podcasts on the phone! Makes ZERO sense, so I came here looking for answers. Doesn't seem like anybody knows.
  3. blairh thread starter macrumors 68040

Dec 11, 2007
    I actually think the root of the problem has something to do with my MBP. I've had this issue with podcasts before. If you want to read the whole story go here.

The weird thing is that I haven't seen other complain of this very issue either on this forum or online in general. So I assume everyone else has flawless operations with podcasts downloaded directly onto their iPhone's?

Because this has now happened with several different iPhone's I'm worried that upgrading to iPhone 4 will only continue these issues. Who knows. I love my iPhone but it has given me a lot of headaches and in a way continues to do so by it's buggy podcast performance (and penchant for dropped calls). I'm also going to give the Droid X a serious look when it comes out next month. We'll see. :confused:
  4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

Oct 1, 2005
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Wow, I'm glad I've never had that issue since I use that feature all the time (Twit listener).
  5. EugenePete macrumors newbie

Aug 10, 2010
    I have the same problem as some of you report.

Newish iphone user here, updated 3gs iphone to os 4.01 the other day. Only mac experience is using my wife's macbook.

I want to download podcasts and other freebies from the iphone's itune store and listen to them later. Videos download and play immediately, but then disappear. Music seems to vanish in the ether. But if I hook the phone up to a computer, everything shows up in the ipod app.

I believe that prior to the update I could download something from the itunes store and then play it later on the ipod app, but now I can't be sure it ever worked. I may have used my computer's itune program to load these onto the iphone.

Anyhow, I can still get stuff into the ipod app if I do use a computer, but don't feel like I should have to. This seems to be a BUG.

I have to say that I'm enjoying the multi-tasking however. Great to play some music and be able to surf the net, etc.
  6. Wuvvie macrumors newbie

Dec 14, 2010
    Workaround might be possible for podcasts that are radio broadcasts

Hi There,

I jumped onto the forum when my iPhone wouldn't download my favourite podcast - The Moth. While I haven't managed to fix the issue and download the podcast through iTunes, I have found a work around. This is to download the content through either the TuneIn Radio or Sticher apps. Both of these apps allow you to download radio content that is streamed. Sticher (free) didn't have many of the back episodes I was after but TuneIn Radio (not free) did.

7. lapocompris macrumors regular

Jun 26, 2009
    I have no problem downloading podcast within the iPod app. My iPhone 4 is under iOS 4.1