Podcast downloads

whsbuss

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I cannot get any podcast episodes to download to my watch. Both the Apple podcast and Overcast just stalls. Anyone else seeing this!

Hamster100

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2016
What version of the watch do you have? - The synching of Podcasts using the Apple Podcast is definitely not as straight forward as it needs to be. I had numerous issues too. I quite like Overcast for its ease of use, but this comes at the cost of audio quality as they reduce the bit rate to compensate for the lower file transfer size.

For the Apple Podcast App, follow these steps and it should resolve, as it did for me.
  1. Make sure its updated to the latest Watch OS. (obvious but worth saying upfront)
  2. In the Watch App on your iPhone select Podcasts, then choose 'Custom'
  3. Select just the podcasts you want to sync to the watch (it will sync up to 3 per show)
Then this is the important part:
  1. As the watch will only sync episodes that are 'Unplayed' - Open the Podcast App on your iPhone
  2. Select the show that you selected in step 3 above
  3. When the episodes are (listed newest at the top) force touch the episode and select 'Mark as Played'
  4. Then force press again and select 'Mark as Unplayed'
  5. The watch should then attempt to sync those episodes that are unplayed.
  6. Leave the watch on the charger and wait.....they should start appearing shortly after this.
If all this fails then I would suggest resetting all data and re-sync again, which takes a while but usually sorts out any other issues.

Hope this helps

Reactions: whsbuss

perezr10

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I was having that issue to. i wondered if it was related to maxing out my music storage. So I deleted some music and the podcasts started downloading again.

If you’ve maxed out your allotted storage for downloads then it doesn’t matter which podcast app you use. Or you could buy a Series 5 for more storage.

Last edited:

vanhalen26

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2018
I just bought a podcasts app and gave up on the native one. It was just a buck. Hopefully the native one is fixed soon.

Hamster100

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2016
I just bought a podcasts app and gave up on the native one. It was just a buck. Hopefully the native one is fixed soon.
Which app did you buy? The native app is shockingly bad considering it’s meant to showcase the device. Another annoying thing on the native watch Podcast app is that if you have an episode synched and you tap out of it to another one from the same show, the watch considers this ‘played’ and will delete the download! So frustrating.

whsbuss

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Which app did you buy? The native app is shockingly bad considering it’s meant to showcase the device. Another annoying thing on the native watch Podcast app is that if you have an episode synched and you tap out of it to another one from the same show, the watch considers this ‘played’ and will delete the download! So frustrating.
Report that to Apple.

Reactions: Hamster100