Podcast Player App that Downloads in Background without First Opening in Foreground?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by damian, Jun 29, 2011.

1. damian macrumors member

I'm looking for an iOS podcast player app that will download podcasts in the background without me having to first open the app in the foreground.

To be clear, I'd like to go to bed at night and have the app automatically download the podcasts when they become available in the middle of the night—without me having to touch my iPhone. I don't know whether the iOS iTunes app has this capability, but that's irrelevant, for my purposes, because the podcasts I'm interested in aren't available via the iTunes store.

So far, I've downloaded Podcaster and iCatcher, and it looks like both of them require that I open the app in the foreground before it will download podcasts in the background (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Two other apps I'm considering are Downcast and Instacast. And I'm open to other suggestions.

Does anyone know if any of these—or other—apps will download podcasts in the background without me having to first open the app in the foreground?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

Bumping this up as I've downloaded Downcast and it doesn't seem to download new podcasts over night and only seems to download when the screen isn't locked too? :confused:

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I know this is old, but it never got an answer.

Apple doesn't allow Apps to do this sort of thing.

The App must be open and in the foreground to be "running".

Outside of that, what an App can do is very limited.

4. damian thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, Dave. Very helpful.