Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcintoshmc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
I want to use podcast producer 2 so I can host my own podcasts, but really don't have a need for OSX Server. Why does a home user need to have server software? I have mobileMe as well. What benefits would I have by getting lets say the new mac mini server?

jerry333

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2005
Mostly the hardware specs are better for the MMS at a lower price when compared to a similarly equipped non-server version. ($999 vs. $1049). Also the server version has dual hard drives rather than a single hard drive and it doesn't appear that you can upgrade the non-server version to dual hard drives (at least not from the Apple Store).

OS X server does three things:

1. Provides a GUI interface for controlling services.

2. Lets you upgrade the various services with Software Update rather than having to keep track of each service's upgrade path.

3. Provides compatible service configurations so you don't have to get various services to work together.

If you don't run one or more of the services that OS X Server provides, then OS X Server doesn't add any value.

mcintoshmc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
I don't know. It seems that if I got the OSX server, I would only have a need for the podcast producer. I don't know if it is worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.