Podcast Producer and Library customization

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by corbywan, Jan 13, 2010.

1. corbywan macrumors regular

As I've delved deeper into Podcast Producer it seems to me that it isn't really designed for public consumption, but rather just your organization. I'm kind of sad/surprised that is the case.

I made a feed using the command line tools so that only certain submissions with a keyword are part of a podcast, and then submitted the atom feed URL to the iTunes podcast directory (still in the review process). During that second step of the submission process it shows you basically a preview and what the feed is telling iTunes. It didn't show the graphic I added to the feed with the command line too, and the description I setup with the CLI is showing in the "long description" and not the "short description" as I thought it might.

I then looked at the XML output of the feed and everything was there. The other thing I didn't like is that the link it sets up for your website (when someone wants to go to your site from the iTunes store) it link to the root of your Podcast Producer Library which shows the end user the screen to browse the library or to use the web-based Podcast Capture app. I would think there would be a way to enter a custom website for a particular feed, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

If I want to have feeds more customizable for public consumption am I better off going with another solution that Podcast Producer?

OK, I just have to gripe. Why isn't there a GUI for the rest of the settings for catalogues and feeds? I'm just not digging this command line stuff to customize feeds. I've already somehow hosed one and had to remove it.

I know Apple doesn't really read this stuff nor respond to it, but it seems like there ought to be an easier way. Anyone else feel the pain?

2. ahefner macrumors newbie

I too had found this annoying.

However I did find a fix after digging around in the scripts. You will have to update the atom_feed.xml.builder and rss_feed.xml.builder files and replace the variables with some new values.

The files are located in the /usr/share/podcasdtproducer/pcastserverd/app/views/feeds/ directory

You will need to sudo nano (or vi) each file and replace the corresponding lines relating to the URL that points to the root path with your new value.