Podcast question

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by undies1993, Apr 24, 2015.

1. undies1993 macrumors 6502a

I just got back from a run and was listening to Fearless by Invisibilia. I was stuck carrying my phone the whole time because I do not like having my phone in my pocket while running.

Can you preload podcasts on the Apple Watch like you can music? I am in the second wave of 42mm SG orders and think it would be great if I could leave my phone at home and use my watch to listen to podcasts.

Of course, I would probably invest in a new pair of bluetooth headphones too. :rolleyes:

2. BrianNH macrumors member

I haven't seen a way to do this. You only seem to be able to access the stuff in the music app, there is no podcast app. Maybe overcast or something will have a watch app.

3. undies1993 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interesting. Seems like an oversight to not have it natively.

4. anticipate macrumors regular

Overcast has an apple watch app (and CarPlay too!). Yes oddly podcasts synced with apple won't play. Weird. Oh well, overcast is better anyway.

5. Phisherman81 macrumors 6502

Phisherman81

True, but the overcast app doesn't put podcasts on the watch, it's just a picker app. So we can't leave our iPhones behind for a run.

6. undies1993 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have never used overcast so thank you for pointing this out.

7. NAYo2002 macrumors 6502

8. undies1993 thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. NAYo2002 macrumors 6502

Nah I wear it over my shorts right under the waistband, so there's a layer of shorts and underwear beneath it. I had my iPhone 6, ID, a debit card in there stacked up and positioned near my lower back. No bouncing at all. I don't think the band I have is the best, but it's the cheapest and it works.

I had doubts, but it's $6 so I took a chance.

10. undies1993 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good to know. Thanks!

11. BrianNH macrumors member

Yesterday I tried playing a podcast on my phone and then pausing it to see if the now playing glance on my watch would let me restart it. It wasn't there. However today it was. So it seems that in some cases you might be able to restart and pause a podcast from the watch, I just haven't worked out exactly how that happened yet.

12. Theydonboi macrumors member

Yes...but the key phrase is "like you can music". There is no native support for Podcasts, but if you change the Media Type of the podcast within iTunes to "Music", stick them on a playlist and sync to your phone, you can then upload them to your watch.

Does this work? Yes.
    Is it incredibly clunky and needs to be resolved with a native podcast app? Yes.