Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon will add podcasts to its Amazon Music and Audible services, according to a confidential email obtained by The Desk.

iu-1.jpeg

Amazon said in the email that it would soon allow Amazon Music and Audible users to subscribe, download, and stream free podcasts on the services. Podcasts will also be available to customers of Amazon Music's ad-supported free tier, in addition to its premium paid service. The launch date of podcasts in Amazon Music and Audible was not stated in the email.

foto_no_exif10.png

The email was reportedly sent to some podcast producers on Monday, with the offer to submit a podcast feed before the feature becomes publicly accessible. This is needed to allow the new podcasts feature to launch with popular shows already available.

During submission of a podcast feed, producers are required to agree to terms and conditions. Strikingly, one term in particular stated that podcasts on the platforms could not include comments that disparage Amazon or its products.

amazon-podcast-agreement-excerpt.png

Podcast features would allow users of Echo smart speakers and Fire TV devices to stream podcasts through Amazon's default apps, rather than via third party apps. Amazon Music had 55 million subscribers as of January, just five million less than Apple Music's 60 million.

Earlier this year, it was reported that Apple is working on original podcasts that will be exclusive to its Podcasts app. Podcasts are increasingly becoming an area of competition between major tech companies, with Apple, Spotify, Google, and now Amazon heavily investing in the sector.

Article Link: Podcasts Coming to Amazon Music and Audible

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I always felt like podcasts, even after being named for the iPod, never got the level of respect they deserved from Apple. It seemed like a movement they should have supported more strongly. I'm not sure how exactly, but at least a better app to manage them and more public mentions and support for podcasters.

Trying to tie podcasts exclusively to Apple, or making it feel like an Apple only medium would have doomed them, so there's a line to walk, but it feels like a revolution that didn't get the attention it should have. I hardly ever listen to live radio anymore.

Of course, with so much less driving these days, I hardly ever listen to podcasts anymore either...

happyprozak

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2008
I always felt like podcasts, even after being named for the iPod, never got the level of respect they deserved from Apple. It seemed like a movement they should have supported more strongly. I'm not sure how exactly, but at least a better app to manage them and more public mentions and support for podcasters.

Trying to tie podcasts exclusively to Apple, or making it feel like an Apple only medium would have doomed them, so there's a line to walk, but it feels like a revolution that didn't get the attention it should have. I hardly ever listen to live radio anymore.

Of course, with so much less driving these days, I hardly ever listen to podcasts anymore either...

The only problem I have with Apple is that I dislike their podcast app. Other apps like Pocket Casts and Castbox are so much better for management.

I do like that podcasting is an open platform but that is now dying with podcasts now commonly becoming exclusive to platforms. In hindsight, the podcast market was Apple's to lose. They could have developed a subscription service where ads were removed or helped podcasters monetize their work. They started the podcast scene and they could have become the dominant platform.

The open platform was a good ride while it lasted.

AppleWar

Suspended
Aug 5, 2020
Great! Not really. I don’t get why now they all have to compete in this market. It made the podcasters money before to have advertisements on their channels. Now, it’s going to be us listening to advertising from the podcast and from Amazon or etc.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I of course assume Apple will need to individually check/test and approve each podcast before it's available to maintain it's safely and quality policy.

You know, like they insist they MUST do for games.

Reactions: Okasian

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
When Apple Music releases proprietary content:

Macrumors users: "HOORAY! Another win for Apple! Delivering great, unique content that adds value to the service! So happy to have [whatever artist exclusive]"

When anyone else releases proprietary content:

Macrumors users: "Podcasting should be an open format that's freely accessible to all. DRM and proprietary content violates the ethos of the medium!!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.