Podcasts from Itunes App

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kujovideo, Oct 2, 2008.

1. kujovideo macrumors newbie

Can you download your audio podcasts from the itunes store app on the ipod touch 2g? I know videos are a little too large to want to wait for the download to complete over wifi but you should be able to get audio from podcasts right?

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Sadly this is not currently included in the iPod touch software, and Apple has axed any podcasting software (for downloads) within the app store.

I am highly considering jailbreaking my 2g Touch (when it is available and stable) so I can have this functionality. I had Mobilecast on my 1G ipod touch and absolutely loved it!

[​IMG]

3. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

Can somebody give me a little insight as to what Apple has against this feature?

Not only did they not add it as a standard feature but they also refused to allow podcaster on the app store. At least if it was a standard feature it would make a little sense to kill podcaster but to just say no altogether to such a simple idea is mind boggling.

BTW On a little side note, even if it was a standard feature I still think it's stupid to refuse other programs with similar functionality. Thats like Microsoft not allowing you to run other spreadsheet programs on your computer because they're somewhat similar to MS Office. Not only that, but its like MS saying no in that situation even if the developer of the new program was willing to pay MS a 30% fee for each installation. :eek: Apple has no clue.

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

The most likely explanation I've heard for Apple axing Podcaster is that podcasts are just audio files, so any application that's capable of downloading podcasts directly onto the Touch/iPhone is also capable of downloading music, thus bypassing iTunes.

5. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

Ok I understand that, though I don't completely agree with it.

That explains podcaster but not itunes. They could still allow us to download podcasts through the itunes store just like the music/apps.