Podcasts on iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bingee, Mar 24, 2008.

1. bingee macrumors member

Is there any way of dowloading podcasts to my iphone via itunes. When I go to itunes on my phone there seems to be no way of searching for a podcast I know exists.
    At the moment it heve to fetch it on my MBP itunes and then sync.

2. cazlar macrumors 6502

No, not over-the-air via the iTunes store. You need to sync to the computer as you say.

However, there is a jailbreak app (MobileCast) that will download podcasts and play them back without syncing, though through its own player. So either install that or wait until June to get that functionality (if it works with the SDK that is).

3. dranakin macrumors 6502

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I had an updated question: Can you now update podcasts via the iPhone 3G without having to sync with your computer?

4. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

why is that funny? :rolleyes:

There is no way of doing this via the default apps provided on the iPhone. In theory a 3rd party app could download, store, update, and play podcasts...

I know you want integration with the iPod app but I dont think apple allows access to those files which is unfortunate.

Wifi or bluetooth syncing with iTunes would be a godsend! Come on Apple!

5. jakeacc macrumors regular

Transferring video over Wifi is a slow process. (depending on your wireless standard) Most free/premium wifi spots use B and G wifi networks. And thats what most people use for their home wireless network. Only a minority use A or N which would be the most ideal for video transfer. Trying to download podcasts via 3G is certainly out of the question. (the battery would be dead before the podcast was finished downloading!)

I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't allow any podcast syncing/downloading over 3G because it would kill AT&Ts 3G network. And trying to do this via wifi would be a slow process. Once there is a better wireless standard, then this feature would most likely be implemented. (maybe iPhone 3rd or 4th generation)

6. Surely Guest

Surely

I don't think that the OP's or subsequent poster's questions were specifically about video podcasts.

If we can access the iTunes music store via wifi or 3G, we should be able to download podcasts as well. If not over 3G, then at least via wifi. Hopefully that ability is added in future updates.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've been downloading Podcasts from iTunes, and Berkeley.edu for several years now, and most recently for my iPhone during the past year. I've had to utilize my iTunes account on my Mac computers, since my iPhone is not JB'd or Unlocked...Sorry, but I don't see an immediate change to this process for my iPhone or my iPods.:(

8. jakeacc macrumors regular

Ahh, my bad. 99% of the podcasts I watch are video podcasts.

Even with the audio podcasts, downloading could be pretty slow. There is a significant difference between downloading an mp4 file from iTunes versus downloading a 60 minute audio podcast.