Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAdamator

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
South San Francisco, CA
Hey all

When Apple finally added Podcasts to the watch and made it so we could sync them directly to the watch I was very happy. It was something I really wanted when I first got an Apple Watch.

I have been having issues with Podcasts on WatchOS 6 pretty much the entire time I have been on the beta. I am on the GM now and these issues persists. Thought it was time I finally post and see if anyone else has had issues and maybe knows a resolution.

I have 2 main issues:

Episodes do not consistently sync to the watch. It seems to be very picky about which ones it will do and some it just wont do at all. I have tried to set it in the Watch app on the phone to sync "Listen now" and I have tried to sync "Custom" and both ways give the same mixed results.

Secondly, if an episode does sync to the watch and I listen to it even for just a little bit (From the watch), it disappears from Listen Now on the watch as if I have already listened to it. Sometimes I can still find it in within the episodes on my watch, but sometimes the file is already deleted and it shows the little cloud icon.
Things I have tried to fix it:

1. Completely delete and reinstall Podcast app on phone (and watch.)

2. I got a new phone about a month ago because my old one got water damage. As a result I had to pair my watch to my new phone so I technically have tried the "Un-pair" and re-pair method.

I'm kind of at a loss of how to fix this...if I even can. Maybe these are issues only I am having. I thought about deleting the app again, and manually deleting all my podcast subscriptions and adding them back. I don't know if that would do any good though.
Has anyone else been having similar issues? If so, how did you fix them?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I'm kind of at a loss of how to fix this...if I even can. Maybe these are issues only I am having. I thought about deleting the app again, and manually deleting all my podcast subscriptions and adding them back. I don't know if that would do any good though.

I haven't really used the feature or been in a situation where I've felt the need to use the storage and not just network... BUT.
Have you written Apple through the Feedback app about this? It's too late to get it fixed for release, since I doubt they'll deem it severe enough to push back the launch, but you could get a 6.0.1 or 6.1 fix for it.

alecc131

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2013
I think I did write them but I actually dont recall 100% to be honest. Does one person's feedback make a difference though?

Yes. Absolutely. I’ve written a feedback, and I see in feedback that others have too.

Rallying together helps to get these things fixed.

If everybody didn’t make the effort, because of the mentality that one person’s feedback wouldn’t make a difference. This attitude wouldn’t be helpful; engineering would not be able to prioritize issue resolution, and things would not get fixed. That’s the whole point of the beta program (yes, a GM is still beta).

alecc131

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2013
Writing a Feedback is a million times more productive than posting in a forum. Engineering reacts to Feedback, not MacRumors forums and Reddit.

Forums are good/constructive to confirm an issue is not rogue and isolated, and to help us rally together; to help Apple help us.

Reactions: deeddawg

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Outcast is another great option - once setup its a totally standalone experience letting you browse and download any episode (great on cellular).

Reactions: whsbuss

Johnhimm

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2013
Hey all

When Apple finally added Podcasts to the watch and made it so we could sync them directly to the watch I was very happy. It was something I really wanted when I first got an Apple Watch.

I have been having issues with Podcasts on WatchOS 6 pretty much the entire time I have been on the beta. I am on the GM now and these issues persists. Thought it was time I finally post and see if anyone else has had issues and maybe knows a resolution.

I have 2 main issues:

Episodes do not consistently sync to the watch. It seems to be very picky about which ones it will do and some it just wont do at all. I have tried to set it in the Watch app on the phone to sync "Listen now" and I have tried to sync "Custom" and both ways give the same mixed results.

Secondly, if an episode does sync to the watch and I listen to it even for just a little bit (From the watch), it disappears from Listen Now on the watch as if I have already listened to it. Sometimes I can still find it in within the episodes on my watch, but sometimes the file is already deleted and it shows the little cloud icon.

2. I got a new phone about a month ago because my old one got water damage. As a result I had to pair my watch to my new phone so I technically have tried the "Un-pair" and re-pair method.

Try Overcast, better in every way

jst_testing

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2017
Same issue - upgraded to watchOS 6 GM and podcast app keeps crashing when i play on the watch. Used to work perfectly on LTE and would use it a lot on walks with dog. They need to fix this!

iAdamator

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2013
South San Francisco, CA
Thanks for the replies all. I did submit feed back.

I wonder if the issue is somehow related to LTE. I do have an LTE watch but the service isn’t on.

I really loved podcasts on my Watch. I’m trying to use Overcast but I really did like the Apple Podcasts....when it worked.

thefriendshipmachine

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2017
I use Overcast and transfer podcasts to the watch as it’s not cellular. Getting a cellular AW5 tomorrow. Does Overcast stream over cellular? It can be slow transferring podcasts to the AW4

Thx
Podcasts keep crashing for me so I downloaded overcast. I can’t even get podcasts to SYNC in this app. I select “send to Apple Watch” and nothing happens... The phone is right beside the watch, both being charged. Nothing....

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Podcasts keep crashing for me so I downloaded overcast. I can’t even get podcasts to SYNC in this app. I select “send to Apple Watch” and nothing happens... The phone is right beside the watch, both being charged. Nothing....
I've seen that too. The top download icon shows its downloading but it stalls. But eventually it does download.

ukbootlegs

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2019
United Kingdom
I’m now trying Outcast instead. It streams the pods over cellular so I don’t need to transfer them

Prefer Overcast though

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I’m now trying Outcast instead. It streams the pods over cellular so I don’t need to transfer them

Prefer Overcast though
Yea I’m hoping Overcast adds watch only mode - the transfer method has never worked for me :(
By watch only mode I mean no phone needed to get podcasts onto the watch - more than just standalone playback.

Reactions: ukbootlegs

ukbootlegs

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2019
United Kingdom
Yea I’m hoping Overcast adds watch only mode - the transfer method has never worked for me :(
By watch only mode I mean no phone needed to get podcasts onto the watch - more than just standalone playback.
Streaming is fine for me. Outcast does that but the interface isn’t as nice

sird28

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2012
Hey all

I have 2 main issues:

I don't really sync podcasts to my watch, I just use the app as a remote control for the iPhone and I can't figure this app out..... Go to My iPhone and go to Listen Now or Episodes or even stations and its almost like it picks podcasts at random. This should be simple what is on the iPhone shows up on the watch, but instead I get some and then others I have already watched and some that are just plain old......

I used Overcast because it had Infographic complication, but in Watch OS 6 Apple Podcasts now has the complication, I want to use the stock app but man its seems so bad... Not sure if its just a WatchOS 6 thing or if it was always like this.

Reactions: ukbootlegs

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I want to use the stock app but man its seems so bad... Not sure if its just a WatchOS 6 thing or if it was always like this.
What is bad? I've not used it much but it's suited my needs since last year -- mostly I use it for a running music mix podcast called PodRunner, plus some CarTalk and a couple other things. Typically I just pick something and play it - streams while I'm out for my run and away from my phone. I do wish there was a way to restart a podcast using the interface on the watch, but I find the previous-track button dance on my headphones does the trick.

sird28

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2012
What is bad? I've not used it much but it's suited my needs since last year -- mostly I use it for a running music mix podcast called PodRunner, plus some CarTalk and a couple other things. Typically I just pick something and play it - streams while I'm out for my run and away from my phone. I do wish there was a way to restart a podcast using the interface on the watch, but I find the previous-track button dance on my headphones does the trick.

For me at least if I select on the watch app On iPhone the playlists and episodes dont match what is on the phone. Example my Station on the phone may have 3 downloaded podcasts but on my watch when going to the station through On iPhone it may or may not have those 3 podcasts plus others I may already have heard.

Basically if I am selecting on my iPhone I'd expect it to match what is on my phone.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
For me at least if I select on the watch app On iPhone the playlists and episodes dont match what is on the phone. Example my Station on the phone may have 3 downloaded podcasts but on my watch when going to the station through On iPhone it may or may not have those 3 podcasts plus others I may already have heard.

Basically if I am selecting on my iPhone I'd expect it to match what is on my phone.
Thanks for the explanation. I've never tried to look through the On iPhone lists from the watch. I just select and listen from the watch since mostly I use it while away from my phone.

arfung

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2015
I have an additional podcasts issue with AW series 6 and Watch OS6. For some specific podcasts (e.g. the Daily from the New York Times), the podcast app on watch quits after a few seconds. This is for podcasts that are synced and played from Watch. For other podcasts, the watch app seems to play them fine. Very frustrating!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.