iPad Poetic Slimline failure!

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Tikatika, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

Cover has strong magnets. Unfortunately, they don't match up with the iPad Air and wake/sleep doesn't work on either case I received. Anybody get one that works?

2. Mjsavage macrumors member

Mine didn't work either got this email:

Dear Poetic Customers,

Thank you for purchasing the Poetic Slimline Case for Apple iPad Air, in all colors. Unfortunately there is no sleeping and waking, nor does the magnetic closure function on this early batch of shipments. Our later shipments will have these both features included and functional, which will arrive in our warehouse on November 6th. We will automatically send out free replacements to anyone who received these early batches before November 8th with 2 days of processing.

This early version of the case fits the iPad Air like a glow, and you can keep it as a spare one for free.

Please sit down, and relax while you wait for our later version to arrive at your door step while the early version acts as a temporary case to protect your valuable investment, Apples iPad Air.

Please leave feedback and commentary after you receive the later version of this case. Thank you for choosing Poetic Cases

All the Best,

Customer Care Team

3. tl01 macrumors 65816

I got the e mail too..... But mine works. Luckily if yours doesn't... They have great customer service!

4. Tikatika thread starter macrumors 6502

Tikatika

I haven't received the email but what a class act! Wow! I'm glad, I really do like the case a lot!

5. bobright macrumors 601

Can we see some pictures? Is it pretty light?

6. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

I didn't get the email, did you order from Amazon?

7. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

I'd also love to see some photos and know the weight of this case. I'm close to pulling the trigger on this one.

8. Mjsavage macrumors member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

You can tell there is extra weight but not to bad it is a hard back it does pick up oils on the cover though. If the sleep wake worked on mine it would be close to perfect.

----------

Yes ordered from Amazon I flies for a return since didn't work and then got that email.

9. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I just looked on Amazon, and they're selling that case for $.01, and $4.95 for shipping. I may not work 100%, but that's tempting!

EDIT: I ordered one for a cent....and $4.96 total. :D

10. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

I ordered mine on Amazon a couple of days ago and it won't ship until monday or tuesday. I wonder if Amazon is aware of this and will have the proper cases available to send out next week.

11. kingalien macrumors regular

kingalien

just received mine today. Magnets enables the sleep/awake feature. However, magnets not strong enough to keep the cover closed on Air. Any tilting of the unit and the cover opens. Considering the price and the current alternative is the Apple Smart Case which hasn't garnered any significantly good reviews here, I can live with the Poetic.

12. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

I just refreshed the page and the price went up to $4.95 + $4.95 shipping. Dag!

13. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

I guess I got in just in time. Ordered one for the wife and one for me. An eye watering total of . $ 0.02.:eek: Let's hope they work out!

14. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

Just got an email saying my $.01 Slimline case shipped today. It supposed to be here Friday, so I'll post something about whether or not it works. I guess I'm still eligible for a replacement if it doesn't sleep/wake properly, but today was the date for improved models to arrive at their warehouse. Either way, the price is right.....

15. Akack, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013

Akack macrumors 6502a

Got the poetic slimline delivered yesterday. The sleep/wake works fine and I have the version that has the 4 folds. Looks like they updated the case to have 3 folds to match Apple's design.

Fits the Air perfectly but having the Poetic logo there is a little annoying, but for $5 shipped not too shabby.

Does add a little weight but not too bad, though I don't have the official smart case to use for comparison. Still way lighter than the iPad 3/4.

16. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Back when Apple introduced the 3rd-gen iPad, there was a problem with the orientation of the magnets, too.

People made a small cut and flipped them over, then glued the lining shut again back then.

Proceed at your own risk but then again the risk seems to be equivalent to $0.01.

17. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Same here. Lets hope we get the updated model on Friday... I ordered on Amazon for .01 and never got the email.

18. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

Poetic typically uses this tactic of sending out the first batch even if it is not 100% complete. Then they send out free replacements. I think they operate at a loss on each sale initially to garner "good customer service" reviews which inflate their Amazon rating and gets other sales at normal/higher prices for the rest of the year.

It seems like the tactic works. I chose not to get a Poetic this time around after owning the same case on my Google Nex 10 and Nex 7. They did the same, send out free replacements for both and I gave them 4 or 5 star reviews for overall decent product and excellent customer service.

My only gripe on Poetic and why I switched to Moko this time for my Air is the dang logo looks cheesy on the front cover. I wish they moved it to the back lower center when holding the iPad in Portrait mode. That would be more subtle.

19. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

That logo does look dopey, but I ordered the black case. My black Sharpie is marker standing by.....LOL!

20. DoubleDose macrumors newbie

Was able to get a Poetic for the $5 Amazon deal and they even delivered it on Oct 31st.. I'm pretty sure it has some magnet issues as it sleeps and wakes sometimes but not often. Overall the case looked pretty cheap though and the cover wouldn't stay down all the way. I received my Smart cover from the Apple store yesterday and replaced it. My new ipad now looks like the $700 device that it is. I'll keep the Poetic (or rather the new one they are sending) for extra protection when traveling, but no way is it staying on for normal use.

21. mscann macrumors member

You can take off that poetic logo with your fingernail, peels right off

22. bigjnyc, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Just got mine in the mail today at work. It has 3 folds so hopefully its the updated version. I paid .01 on amazon and never received and email.

I'm going to try it at home and see if it wakes up my girlfriend's ipad air and report back.

*UPDATE* worked perfectly. Still going to use the apple cover but will definitely throw on the poetic slimline when traveling for extra protection