Pogoplug Pro or iOmega iConnect??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pukifloyd, Oct 11, 2010.

1. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Hi

I just saw a post on engadget regarding the new just launched Pogoplug Pro. Its perfect for my needs but I am confused about this and the iOmega iConnect.
    I didn't find much of a difference between the two except that the you can attach upto 4 hard drives on the Pogoplug Pro.
    Which one of the two do you think is better?
    I also want to access data from my ipod touch 4g. Has anyone used the app for the pogoplug? How is it? Can you stream music and videos from your drives to the ipod? Can you also print wirelessly from ipod (I have the new ipod touch 4g)
    I read the website and didn't find the answers...maybe I didn't look carefully :eek:

Are there any other alternatives other than these two?

I searched for threads regarding this but all of them are more than 6 months old...thats why I created the new thread.

Thanks a lot! :)

EDIT: What about scanning? How do you scan documents when your printer is attached to the wireless server? Is it the same way as how you do it if its connected via usb?

2. pukifloyd thread starter macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

82 views and no replies ? :(

3. pukifloyd thread starter macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

181 views and still no replies? :(
    just delete this thread mods...

4. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

I'll post so you don't feel left out. I have only just found out about the Popo yesterday. It seems pretty interesting. I don't know about the other one. I thought the Popo would be a nice alternative for MobileMe. I don't necessarily want another thing to plug into my shelf with my Airport Extreme, Fios Modem, and my future 2TB hard drive...

5. bubbleboy450 macrumors newbie

Alternatives

I have been evaluating the pogoplug pro for my own personal needs, but haven't quite made the plunge yet. Here are some alternatives that I have discovered in my quest for cloud nirvana. The advantage some of these have over the pogoplug are faster processors / ability to install linux and full blown LAMP servers on them. (Amahi is also a possiblity)

ionicsPlug.com

GuruPlug

Sheva Plug

You may also want to consider a more powerful NAS

Drobo

Mercury Elite

Or perhaps build / buy a dedicated linux or microsoft server

Amahi

Windows Home Server

I personally have not tried any of these products. I think building an Amahi server or buying a drobo might be the best solution.