Pogue: 5 feet to pavement and not a scratch!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mark Booth, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Mark Booth macrumors 68000

Mark Booth

David Pogue posted this comment via Twitter 2 hours ago:

"Oh CRUD!!! Set the iPhone 4 on a truck hood in a parking lot--it slipped off and fell 5 feet to pavement! Not a scratch. Whew!!"

Pogue's Twitter Page

Mark

2. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

In my best troll voice:

It must not be true! I've seen a picture of an iPhone 4 prototype where all the glass was broken. This phone is going to be a piece of crap! That glass is going to be so easy to break!

/Troll voice off/

:D

3. Iphoneness macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

Good stuff!
    Wonder how many times it could take that, ha

4. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

5. Tankfantry macrumors regular

Tankfantry

what are some people famous for around here?!...oh yes I remember.

"if there's no pictures it's not true."

or something along those lines. Good to hear of a real world "test."

6. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

haha

Good to hear though, sounds durable.

7. Mark Booth thread starter macrumors 68000

Mark Booth

Let the trolls believe what they want.

Haters will hate,
    but I can't relate,
    I'll enjoy my iPhone 4,
    and they can enjoy their fate.

Mark

8. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Reminds me of what someone posted in response to the reports that the screen would break easily if dropped:

Something along the lines of "Oh crap, I'm sure Apple never thought of dropping it to test its durability!"

9. Mark Booth thread starter macrumors 68000

Mark Booth

What Apple has to say about the iPhone 4's glass:

"Engineered Glass - All of the breakthrough technology in iPhone 4 is situated between two glossy panels of aluminosilicate glass - the same type of glass used in the windshields of helicopters and high-speed trains. Chemically strengthened to be 20 times stiffer and 30 times harder than plastic, the glass is ultradurable and more scratch resistant than ever."

But, apparently, Apple also retained some plastic-like resiliency in the new glass. The glass doesn't look brittle to me:

[​IMG]

Mark

10. Mjmar macrumors 65816

11. Wolfmore macrumors member

Wolfmore

When you drop your phone what happens next is never consistent. It all depends on how it hits. E.g. I've always carried my 3GS naked and had nasty drops like twice but no shatter glass. 1sf time on tile floor fell like 3 feet and landed perfectly flat face down with glass. Thought for sure I had broke it but no. Another time getting out of my car my phone flew out on the pavement and walked away with a small dent to the metal band. On the other hand my poor friend who has a rubber protector shatter the screen when it slipped out of her hands on to the pavement.

I'm sure this new iPhone 4 is more resistent the previos ones but counting drops until it breaks doesn't prove anything...could break on the first drop or not.

12. Bob Loblaw macrumors regular

Bob Loblaw

I've dropped my iPhone 3G only once. And it was a potentially horrific drop too. I was at the Verizon Center in DC for game 5 of the Penguins-Capitals series during the 2009 playoffs. Ovechkin scored with only a few minutes remaining to tie it up. After celebrating, I went to take the iPhone out and it slipped out of my hand, falling about 4 feet onto the plastic/metal/wood of the risers. As I reached down to grab it, it slipped through a crack of the risers and fell at least 10 feet onto the concrete below in the recesses of the Verizon Center. A VC employee retrieved it for me within 10 minutes and I was ecstatic to see that the screen was perfect and there was like a small "dent" on the corner.

Also, the Capitals lost in overtime. If my iPhone had been destroyed too, I may have murdered a baby.

13. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

Keyword: Prototype

14. JonBorichef macrumors regular

JonBorichef

That's amazing :eek::D

Well, stainless steel and super strong scratchless glass...

15. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I don't believe anything that David Pogue says. He fawns over Apple like Steve Jobs personal "Yes Man". For all I know he's on Apples payroll. For years he's been blubbering over everything Apple as though he would die without them.

16. PureRED macrumors member

PureRED

Whenever I see this photo, I squint and get nervous, like it can actually shatter and hurt me or something.

17. baller1308 macrumors 65816

I'm sure if it fell at some exact angle from a certain height, bad things will happen. We've seen other iPhones with spiderweb screens and what not. Hopefully it is unlikely for the glass the shatter.

It's like those safety hammers you can buy to shatter a car window. You can use your elbow and not break it, but if you use the tiny hammer and just tap it the glass shatters.

18. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Keyword: sarcasm

19. caranddriver macrumors regular

caranddriver

Now just do that bending constantly like that silly Ikea display with the weight going on that poang chair constantly.

I'm sure its testing the average Scandinavian butt b/c an average American butt would have splintered the chair already.

20. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

lol

21. LAS22 macrumors regular

LAS22

22. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Err... that's because he's white. ?

23. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD