Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
David Pogue posted this comment via Twitter 2 hours ago:

"Oh CRUD!!! Set the iPhone 4 on a truck hood in a parking lot--it slipped off and fell 5 feet to pavement! Not a scratch. Whew!!"

Pogue's Twitter Page

Mark

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
In my best troll voice:

It must not be true! I've seen a picture of an iPhone 4 prototype where all the glass was broken. This phone is going to be a piece of crap! That glass is going to be so easy to break!

/Troll voice off/

:D

Tankfantry

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Houston, Texas
what are some people famous for around here?!...oh yes I remember.

"if there's no pictures it's not true."

or something along those lines. Good to hear of a real world "test."

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Let the trolls believe what they want.

Haters will hate,
but I can't relate,
I'll enjoy my iPhone 4,
and they can enjoy their fate.

Mark

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Reminds me of what someone posted in response to the reports that the screen would break easily if dropped:

Something along the lines of "Oh crap, I'm sure Apple never thought of dropping it to test its durability!"

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
What Apple has to say about the iPhone 4's glass:

"Engineered Glass - All of the breakthrough technology in iPhone 4 is situated between two glossy panels of aluminosilicate glass - the same type of glass used in the windshields of helicopters and high-speed trains. Chemically strengthened to be 20 times stiffer and 30 times harder than plastic, the glass is ultradurable and more scratch resistant than ever."

But, apparently, Apple also retained some plastic-like resiliency in the new glass. The glass doesn't look brittle to me:

910631327_oq8vR-O.jpg

Mark

Wolfmore

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
When you drop your phone what happens next is never consistent. It all depends on how it hits. E.g. I've always carried my 3GS naked and had nasty drops like twice but no shatter glass. 1sf time on tile floor fell like 3 feet and landed perfectly flat face down with glass. Thought for sure I had broke it but no. Another time getting out of my car my phone flew out on the pavement and walked away with a small dent to the metal band. On the other hand my poor friend who has a rubber protector shatter the screen when it slipped out of her hands on to the pavement.

I'm sure this new iPhone 4 is more resistent the previos ones but counting drops until it breaks doesn't prove anything...could break on the first drop or not.

Bob Loblaw

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
Oakton, Virginia
I've dropped my iPhone 3G only once. And it was a potentially horrific drop too. I was at the Verizon Center in DC for game 5 of the Penguins-Capitals series during the 2009 playoffs. Ovechkin scored with only a few minutes remaining to tie it up. After celebrating, I went to take the iPhone out and it slipped out of my hand, falling about 4 feet onto the plastic/metal/wood of the risers. As I reached down to grab it, it slipped through a crack of the risers and fell at least 10 feet onto the concrete below in the recesses of the Verizon Center. A VC employee retrieved it for me within 10 minutes and I was ecstatic to see that the screen was perfect and there was like a small "dent" on the corner.

Also, the Capitals lost in overtime. If my iPhone had been destroyed too, I may have murdered a baby.

chrismac00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
In my best troll voice:

It must not be true! I've seen a picture of an iPhone 4 prototype where all the glass was broken. This phone is going to be a piece of crap! That glass is going to be so easy to break!

/Troll voice off/

:D

Keyword: Prototype

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
I don't believe anything that David Pogue says. He fawns over Apple like Steve Jobs personal "Yes Man". For all I know he's on Apples payroll. For years he's been blubbering over everything Apple as though he would die without them.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
I'm sure if it fell at some exact angle from a certain height, bad things will happen. We've seen other iPhones with spiderweb screens and what not. Hopefully it is unlikely for the glass the shatter.

It's like those safety hammers you can buy to shatter a car window. You can use your elbow and not break it, but if you use the tiny hammer and just tap it the glass shatters.

caranddriver

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
SF Bay Area
Now just do that bending constantly like that silly Ikea display with the weight going on that poang chair constantly.

I'm sure its testing the average Scandinavian butt b/c an average American butt would have splintered the chair already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.