Point and click

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by amiga, Apr 30, 2008.

1. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

Are there any modern games out there that are the embodiment of say Monkey island or Fate of Atlantis? I love those games...

If not why not?

;)

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

There's a new Sam and Max series being released in an episodic fashion. There's 12 episode per season, I think, and they're about halfway through season two. You can buy them as they come out as digital downloads, and there's a new season 1 collection on disc now.

Also, Zack and Wiki on the Wii (which is getting a Sam and Max port this year) is also very good and in the same genre (but without the great humor/story that made the old Lucas Arts and Seirra games so timeless). Great game play and puzzles, none the less.

3. amiga thread starter macrumors 6502

amiga

4. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

This thread reminds me of one of my favorite Amiga games - Simon the Sorcerer.

5. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

The new one from Telltale Games is. The original is just a regular Lucas Arts adventure game.

6. amiga thread starter macrumors 6502

amiga

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I think so. And the Wii, later this year.

http://www.telltalegames.com/samandmax

BTW, it looks like it's 6 episodes per season, not 12 like I said. Not sure how long they are, I've not played yet - waiting for the Wii version.

8. amiga thread starter macrumors 6502

amiga

9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Sure, sure. There's also a freeware adventure game creation system/game interpreter that has hundreds of games available for it - mostly on par graphically with the old Seirra games like Space Quest. There's only a few that I thought were any good, and the Mac version of the game engine isn't very stable/up to date, but there's a couple, notably Seven Days a Stranger that are quite good and worth the hassle. I think the guy who does the "Zero Punctuation" game reviews actually made that game, along with a sequel or two.

10. Plusbits macrumors member

Plusbits

I find the Broken Sword series to be very good, and it's quite humourous too
    Definately worth a go in my opinion

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've been playing a lot of them games on my DS with the Scumm emulator. Sam and Max is the only modern point and click game that comes to mind. There's a huge hole in the market for more of these games.

12. amiga thread starter macrumors 6502

amiga

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

BTW the Amiga? Best video game system I ever played. To this day the classics I played on that inspire my own games.

Just thought I'd say :p

14. capoeirista macrumors 6502

Yes why don't Lucasarts get it together?! Monkey Island games on DS would sell like very warm cakes. Oh to replay LeChucks Revenge again.....

+1 for Amiga love, I still fetch my 1200 out of the loft to play SWOS/Cannon Fodder/etc. now and again.

15. amiga thread starter macrumors 6502

amiga

Ahhhh happy times!

16. amiga thread starter macrumors 6502

amiga

17. 119576 Guest

We need more Monkey Island games.
    I've played them all to death.

More Amiga love from me, too. I really miss my 600 :(

18. Plusbits macrumors member

Plusbits

Reportedly, Lucasarts are working on a fifth Monkey Island game, so hopefully it will be with it by the end of next year!
    And the voodoo lady did say she's tied with Lucasarts by a five game contract ;)

Day of the Tentacle is a very fun game by Lucasarts, and the Simon the Sorcerer series is also very fun point-and-click-wise

19. amiga thread starter macrumors 6502

amiga

I hope thats true!!! Why did they ever stop making that kind of game?

20. capoeirista macrumors 6502

I think that LucasArts thoughts were:

Pumping out Star Wars games = Free money.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I still have my 600, but a few years back I got into a phase where I wouldn't sleep at night and stay awake opening electronics. The 600 had these special locks that needed to be opened just right- whoops! Tore the top of the unit off. Still works but there's a great split in it.

Amiga :( pirated games from carboot sales, relokick for imported games, Mega Drive controller compatibility, that grinding Zzzzt-zzzt floppy disk noise. Larvely.

22. amiga thread starter macrumors 6502

amiga

Still got my A1200, not used it for a while though. Have loads of Amiga mags too... including the final issue of Amiga Format!

23. Plusbits macrumors member

Plusbits

I think it's because some of the original MI team left, but I'm not 100% sure
    Hopefully there will be a new game out soon though!

http://www.worldofmi.com/

Some good stuff there for all MI fans :D

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I had a huge collection of CU Amiga and Amiga Format mags, but my gran sold them (along with Nintendo and Sega mags) for 50p on a carboot sale :( I didn't care at the time but I'd love to read through them again.

My first Amiga mag was CU Amiga with a demo of BC Kid and a rolling Street Fighter 2 vid. If I can just find that 1 mag!