Point and shoot camcorder recomendations

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Mac Composer, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Mac Composer macrumors member

I want to get my wife a point and shoot camcorder. Looking at the Flip Ultra, Mino, Sony Bloggie.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas on these or other cameras?

2. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Sounds like you're going cheap. Most of those cheap camcorders have real image quality issues, including bad low-light shooting and the imfamous "rolling shutter".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter

You might want to pay a little extra money to have a good quality camera. That being said, I've had three failures of Canon camcorders, so they're on the "naughty" list. I currently use a flash-based Sony camcorder and am quite happy with its performance.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...tifier=S_Video_Camcorders#/handycamCamcorders

3. Mac Composer thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm aware that I could upgrade to a better camera, but like I said, this is a gift for my wife and this is what she wants. I'm just trying to find out which one people are most happy with.

4. xStep macrumors 68000

Find some reviews. I've read somewhere that the Bloggie takes really really bad images.

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

If u have kids, I'd suggest looking at a waterproof one. Great for vacations. I think kodax makes one.

6. Big Shisha macrumors member

I have the Sony Bloggie CM5, I've had no issues with it as a point and shoot.
    It's small enough to fit in my (baggy) jeans as well, so it should fit in most ladies bags :D

7. nerdo macrumors regular

Flip is fun and totally idiot proof, perfect for youTube movies with cheesy music :) You can edit some stuff in camera, nice one to check out. Friend of mine used it for a 10 week bike ride diary cam and loved it.

8. iFergal macrumors newbie

iPhone 4 = Superb Video + Photo Quality

I have 2 Canon HD camcorders (HF200 & HFS200) & they are both superb but I dont always take them with me when I go out for a walk or go to see friends & family but I always have my iPhone 4 & I love it! The stills are great & the video is better than a flip or similar... plus its my phone, email, browser, satnav, etc,... so i only need to take this one amazing little device with me! An absolute do-it-all bargain as far as I'm concerned.